• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non payment of Child support/visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tcpmp

What is the name of your state?Wa/Ca
I heard this secondhand and was wondering if it is true?
My sister in-law is going through a divorce and she said that the DA informed her that if the NCP doesn't pay child support for a year that visitation is suspended until payments are made? I don't believe that it is true but I had to ask.

VeronicaGia

Support and visitation are typically separate issues. If he stops paying, she cannot deny visitation, if she denies visitation, he cannot stop paying. I'd ask the attorney if the law is written somewhere, and if so, where.

M

Meursault

The only reference to possibly 'missing' visitation is the actions allowed under Missouri Revised Statute:
Jurisdiction by arrest.
454.160. If a court of this state believes that the obligor may flee, it may:

(1) As an initiating court, request in its certificate that the responding court obtain the body of the obligor by appropriate process; or

(2) As a responding court, obtain the body of the obligor by appropriate process. Thereupon it may release him upon his own recognizance or upon his giving a bond in an amount set by the court to assure his appearance at the hearing.

(L. 1959 S.B. 118, A.L. 1982 S.B. 468)

You can read the entire chapter here:
http://www.moga.state.mo.us/statutes/chapters/chap454.htm

tigger22472

That's a good thing to know for the ones in Missouri. Just wanted to point out to the OP that it is a Missouri statue and not in her state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">