• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pocket Bike Tickets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jimmy1134

California

I was riding my pocket bike in a chevron parking lot, next to I5 in the Fresno area, and received a ticket for the following:

12500 (b) Out of class driver (no motorcycle license)
24002 (b) Vehicle not equipped or unsafe (off road vehicle)
16028 (a) No Proof of Insurance
14800 Unregistered Vehicle.

First of all I heard that the pocket bike popularity would soon make a law come about, but I didn't think it was a law yet. Is it?

My questions:
How do I register and insure a vehicle that has no VIN?
Can I get a ticket in a Chevron parking lot?
Do I have to get a motorcycle license to clear the violation?

In addition to the above, I have a $350.00 tow fee because the bike was confiscated. The tow fee now is more than I paid for the bike and I don't want to pick it up or pay the tow fees. Will I be liable?

One last question, can I sue the store that sold this bike to me?

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

James Boyd

CdwJava

"""" I heard that the pocket bike popularity would soon make a law come about, but I didn't think it was a law yet. Is it? "

It has been for a while. A gas-powered scooter with a seat and handlebars under 150 cc's is considered a motor-driven cycle as defined by CVC 405 and is considered to be a motorcycle.

"""" How do I register and insure a vehicle that has no VIN?"

You'll have to ask the DMV about that one.

"""" Can I get a ticket in a Chevron parking lot?"

Its considered an 'off-street parking facility' as defined in CVC 12500(c) and a driver's license with the proper endorsement is required.

"""" Do I have to get a motorcycle license to clear the violation?"

Unless you want to just pay the fine and not treat it as a fix-it ticket. Call the court and find out.

"""" The tow fee now is more than I paid for the bike and I don't want to pick it up or pay the tow fees."

What generally happens is that the tow company will obtain a lien on the item and will take possession of it after 31 days. You can always contact them and tell them you do not wish to pay the impound fee and will sign it over to them.

However, they MAY threaten to come after you for any difference between what they can sell the cycle for and the fees they would have received had you picked it up. Whether they can realistically collect on those fees is questionable.

"""" One last question, can I sue the store that sold this bike to me?"

Well, you can try, but I doubt it will work. I will guarantee that unless store personnel removed the stickers and paperwork, there was a bright (probably yellow) label on the cycle that said it was only for use on private property, and before using OFF of private property, you should check with the laws in your area.

Good luck.

Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">