• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is anything possible he can do not to pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AngelaNY

What is the name of your state? New York
I am about to have a baby from a guy I was never married to. He didn't want this child and said he'd hire lawyers (he has lots of money and can afford the best ones) to do everything possible so I don't get anything from him (child support). Besides, I'm not a permanent resident of US, I have pending political asylum case, which I'm not sure I'm going to win. Is there anything he can do not to pay child support at all? Thanks.

A

AngelaNY

The child IS his. And before court will order any child support amount to be paid, DNA test has to be done. That was not my question, but thanks anyways.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
If he's proven to be the father and you get custody - he WILL be paying support. However, if you do not prevail in your asylum hearing and are returned to your country or origin, you may find it difficult to enforce a support order.

nextwife

I presume he may have the legal right, if he is proven to be the father and wishes to therefore have a relationship with his child, to try to block the removal of the CHILD, if born in the US, from the country?

VeronicaGia

Even if our poster prevails in her political asylum, if he files for and gets custody, it is possible he will not have to pay child support. That would depend on the differences between the parents' income.

A

AngelaNY

Thanks everybody, but some things are really confusing for me. If I'm denied political asylum then I have to leave the country with my child. But if before that happens it would be proven that he is the father and child support would be court ordeed in US, does it give him the right not to pay if the child moves to a different place/country?

M

Meursault

FIRST, if you are denied political asylum YOU will be deported. Not necessarily the child. If papa is forced to pay child support he may also decide to fight for custody. In which case, you COULD find yourself on an airplane without the child.

As for support, as long as you are a citizen of a UN member nation, the International Treaty on Child Support Enforcement, along with the Hague Convention on Family issues rules.

He would continue paying.

nextwife

Unless he is granted custody, in which case she would pay. It is ordered from NCP to CP, not necessarilly from male to female.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">