• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is my attorney doing a good job?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mchladdy

What is the name of your state? california, I was hit by a car in 4-10-2003, the last time my attorney talked with the insurance cpmpany was 01-16-2004, he hasn't spoken with them since. Since I was injured on the job, he was also suppost to contact the workmans comp. insurance company to find out what sort of lien they would have on any settlement. They told me the last time he talked with them was on 4-9-2004. He also seems not to want to return any of me phone calls. One of the last times I talked with him, he said he would have the case settled with in 2-3 weeks. Its been 10 weeks since that conversation. And he still does not return my phone calls. What should I do?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

mchladdy said:
What is the name of your state? california, I was hit by a car in 4-10-2003, the last time my attorney talked with the insurance cpmpany was 01-16-2004, he hasn't spoken with them since. Since I was injured on the job, he was also suppost to contact the workmans comp. insurance company to find out what sort of lien they would have on any settlement. They told me the last time he talked with them was on 4-9-2004. He also seems not to want to return any of me phone calls. One of the last times I talked with him, he said he would have the case settled with in 2-3 weeks. Its been 10 weeks since that conversation. And he still does not return my phone calls. What should I do?

My response:

Are you still being examined and treated by ANY doctors, or have you been released from further medical care?

IAAL

M

mchladdy

no, i have been released back to work for close to 8 months now. no limited duty or anything. I did develop a bulging disk from the accident. There are other reasons why I returned to work not related to the case. In other words, I still have constant pain, but still had to return.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

mchladdy said:
no, i have been released back to work for close to 8 months now. no limited duty or anything. I did develop a bulging disk from the accident. There are other reasons why I returned to work not related to the case. In other words, I still have constant pain, but still had to return.

My response:

Then, your accident is probably in the litigation process because the other side won't settle, or won't settle for the amount your attorney believes your case is worth.

Litigation takes time. It could be over soon, or could take upwards of 3 years. So, you'll just have to be patient.

That's the best I can surmise about what could be happening. Keep after your attorney. Write a letter, and make phone calls. Ask for an update.

IAAL

M

mchladdy

actually, i recently contacted the insurance company's and they informed me that my attorney hasn't been in touch with in months and hasn't asked for a settlement as of yet.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

mchladdy said:
actually, i recently contacted the insurance company's and they informed me that my attorney hasn't been in touch with in months and hasn't asked for a settlement as of yet.

My response:

Well, then the only other thing that could possibly be happening is that your office file now has a healthy, thick, layer of dust on it from sitting in his file cabinet.

Contact a new attorney, hire that new attorney, and have that new attorney arrange for the transfer of your office file. Your new attorney will send the old attorney a letter which will basically say for you, "Pal, you're fired!"

IAAL

E

elusun

If you have had a lawyer for several years and feel he is not acting in your best interest, and pushing to settle can you change lawyers after years???

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">