• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marriage 2 Short 2 Count?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lfrance

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Missouri
I was married only 4 months when my husband got up one Sunday morning and informed me that he was moving out that day....and he did! We had lived in my house, had no marital property, but he wanted reimbursed for 1/2 of our honeymoon and demanded my engagement ring back. I refused both. He has since filed for divorce, but has been through 2 attorneys up to this point...I'm assuming because they advise him that his demands are out of line. (He put the honeymoon on his credit card before we were married.) My questions are: 1.) Am I legally obligated to give him what he is requesting? 2.) Since our divorce is already filed with the court, is there a next step that I can take to move it along without having to hire an attorney? 3.) I imagine it would be too much to hope for an anullment at this point?
P.S. I am moving out of state in August and would like this matter to be settled before I move or I would actually be content to just wait for him to move ahead.
Thanks so much. :rolleyes:

I am not a lawyer, but I bet I can answer this...

1.) Am I legally obligated to give him what he is requesting?
No way! He gave you an engagement ring, and you got married. The ring is yours. The trip was paid for on his own accord, you don't owe him anything for that.

2.) Since our divorce is already filed with the court, is there a next step that I can take to move it along without having to hire an attorney?
Get an attorney quick, and get divorced from this bozo.

3.) I imagine it would be too much to hope for an anullment at this point?
Yes, it is too much to hope for...

Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">