• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Oh My Gosh! Help Me!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

annaB

What is the name of your state? TX just moved to OK
Hi, I am in SHOCK!!! A friend of mine called to let me know that he looked my name up for fun in Dallas county and it showed that I was married.

When I was 18 I had a hispanic boyfriend. He asked me to marry him and being the silly girl I was said yes (not telling my family). We got our marriage license. I confinded in a friend what I was going to do and she convinced me that I was insane! I never went through with it. I did have that boyfriend for about a year and a half (unmarried). We also filed our taxes married one year because we were living together. I broke up with him when I discovered that he wasn't even allowed to be in the US.

I am much older now (7yrs) and have been in a great relationship for the last 4 yrs. I have been hoping :) that I would be getting a proposal soon.........but now I am scared out of my mind! There is no way that my being married would fly with my boyfriend now. I am so scared and confused and I have no idea how to even find this Xboyfriend. WHY would it say that Im married??? Ughhh....... Is there any way I can prove that I didn't marry him? I did get the license and I did file joint taxes once.....boy, Im a mess!!!

Souix

annaB said:
Hi, I am in SHOCK!!! A friend of mine called to let me know that he looked my name up for fun in Dallas county and it showed that I was married.

When I was 18 I had a hispanic boyfriend. He asked me to marry him and being the silly girl I was said yes (not telling my family). We got our marriage license. I confinded in a friend what I was going to do and she convinced me that I was insane! I never went through with it. I did have that boyfriend for about a year and a half (unmarried). We also filed our taxes married one year because we were living together. I broke up with him when I discovered that he wasn't even allowed to be in the US.

I am much older now (7yrs) and have been in a great relationship for the last 4 yrs. I have been hoping :) that I would be getting a proposal soon.........but now I am scared out of my mind! There is no way that my being married would fly with my boyfriend now. I am so scared and confused and I have no idea how to even find this Xboyfriend. WHY would it say that Im married??? Ughhh....... Is there any way I can prove that I didn't marry him? I did get the license and I did file joint taxes once.....boy, Im a mess!!!

***and did you also find yourself listed as married or are you taking his word for it?***

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

annaB said:

MISTAKE #1: We got our marriage license.

MISTAKE #2: I did have that boyfriend for about a year and a half

MISTAKE #3: We also filed our taxes married one year because we were living together.

I guess you never heard of "Common Law" marriage. Yup, that's right. All the above ingredients added up to a recipe for marriage.

Now you need a divorce.

IAAL

annaB

This is just great. But, I wonder why the county would have me listed. I never went to the courthouse or wherever one gets married. And, we lived together but the apartment was just in my name. His name wasn't on anything at all.

Thanks for the help so far. Another thing, if I get divorced..then I want to get married again to my real boyfriend (who has no idea about this!) will he have to know before we get married (like when we get the license)??? I just can't believe all this is happening! Im having an anxiety attack!!! Thanks! Anna

n_and

4 things have to happen for a common law marriage to be recognized in Texas.

1. A couple lives together,
2. for an amount of time that is basically undetermined in the few states that do recognize common law marriage.
3. The couple presents themselves to the public as a married couple (like filing joint tax returns as a married couple).
4. The couple intends to get hitched (marriage license).

You will need a divorce, as you have already been told. Whether or not you tell your boyfriend is of your own decision but I advise you as forcefully as one possibly can on an internet forum to tell the truth.

Last edited:

annaB

The county does have me married as of March 31st 1997. I hadn't even moved in with him then. That was just around when we got the license and I backed out. How in the world could this have happened? I did not marry this guy......common law makes since but not to have it recorded at the county. Urghhh ........ :mad: Anna

Souix

annaB said:
The county does have me married as of March 31st 1997. I hadn't even moved in with him then. That was just around when we got the license and I backed out. How in the world could this have happened? I did not marry this guy......common law makes since but not to have it recorded at the county. Urghhh ........ :mad: Anna

***Did you get a copy of the recorded document? Maybe your BF had it recorded without your knowledge.***

M

Meursault

***Did you get a copy of the recorded document? Maybe your BF had it recorded without your knowledge.***
Now that's funny.

"What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas".

Somehow I think we should be hearing the Twilight Zone theme music right about now. :D

I feel for you...

but you have provided great soap opera-esque entertainment for me.. thank you. You better get divorced quickly. Also, I hate to bring this up, but if your boyfriend hasn't proposed after 4 years without knowing all this... good luck getting him to now...

(Insert twilight zone music here)

L

Lorelei

IAAL is right about the common law marriage.

I live in Texas and there is actually a common law marriage certificate that you can get from the county clerk. All it needs is a signature and turned in and there you have it, you're now married. As far as I can tell you dont even need to be in front of a Justice of the Peace. *Shrugs* I could be wrong there....still doing some research on it, cause My fiance and I have been together over 2 years and are planning on getting married, but we are being told that we already are.

Also IAAL thanks for that bit of Info about common law in Texas that helped me alot. *Smiles*

M

Meursault

There are also STILL on the books, a marriage by proxy statute where you don't even have to SHOW UP to be married :D

God love Texas :D:D:D

Souix

Having been married for less than 2 years I can tell you that the marriage license has to be certified by the person performing the marriage, and the person performing the marriage has to be licensed to perform such (i.e. not Rod Serling). Then after the certification is signed it can be recorded. OP, who do you know that would certify that they married you and your ex BF?

annaB

First off, Haha, my boyfriend and I have been together about 3 and a half years. I have not been in a rush to marry as I am trying to finish my degree first. He just graduated last year and we are really starting to get it together. Sooo....I don't think that I am being a hopeless girl. We do have hopes and future plans.

NOW, I don't know anyone who could have pretended to be me and married him! I guess I will have to get a divorce.......this is just crazy!!!! I am still in shock!!! I am starting to wonder if since I got the license if he could have gotten someone to pretend to be and marry him so he could become a citizen or whatever! I know, this is like a soap opera, lol. I'm usually a regular girl......but now I do feel like Im in the twilight ZOne!! I have no idea how to get in touch with this guy to file anyway!! I called an attorney today and he said I could do it through publication! WHat A Big Mess!!!!! How INSANE!!!!

n_and

Lorelei said:
IAAL is right about the common law marriage.

I live in Texas and there is actually a common law marriage certificate that you can get from the county clerk. All it needs is a signature and turned in and there you have it, you're now married. As far as I can tell you dont even need to be in front of a Justice of the Peace. *Shrugs* I could be wrong there....still doing some research on it, cause My fiance and I have been together over 2 years and are planning on getting married, but we are being told that we already are.

Also IAAL thanks for that bit of Info about common law in Texas that helped me alot. *Smiles*

What am I, non-existent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">