• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

He wants child support reduced

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

purplefocus

What is the name of your state? AL
I received a court order today that my ex wants to get the child support he pays decreased due to his decrease in pay. Well the reason he has a decrease in pay is because he drinks excessively and loses his job. This is not my say so, there easily can be documented papers produced on this. During our marriage he had the same job for 14 years and did very well. Now he doesn't keep a job for more than a month. Will he be able to do this? Also in October 2003 I was diagnosed with a chronic illness which in Feburary it forced me to quit work, I am now applying for SSDI. My current husband completely supports us and my 2 sons, except for the child support of 500.00 a month they receive. Will my ex be able to do this just because he choses to stay drunk and can't keep a job? He also was 11 months behind on child support which he caught up in May right before he filed the court order.
Paige

stephenk

Sure he can. If his income is lower he can apply for a reduction in support. Once his income goes up you can apply for a modification to increase the support. On and on it goes.

how much were you earning before you went on disability in relation to how much your ex was earning?

purplefocus

Our monthly income was about the same. I brought in about 2000.00 a month and he brought in about the same. Now my income is zero (still waiting on an answer from SSDI) and his probably averages anywhere from 400.00 to 1200.00 a month now.
Paige

purplefocus

How can he get away with this? It is obvious to me that he is only working these low paying jobs and quitting or getting fired so he doesn't have to pay but a small amount in child support. He has numerous years of experience that makes him qualify for a much higher paying job.
Paige

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">