• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do all wills have to go to probate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mswingrider

Kentucky

My mother died leaving many credit card debts and medical expenses. She left a simple will disposing of personal items. I was her power of attorney before death and named executor of her will. She lived on my property in a mobile home (jointly owned by my sister and her). Mom left the home to my husband and I. My sister transferred that into my name 1 week after her death. She had a $5,000 insurance policy. We took that and sold her car and paid her funeral expenses. No one is fighting over anything. (I have 2 other brothers.) She had very little. Do I have to go to probate court? I do not needlessly want to spend any money as there is nothing to inherit.

Dandy Don

You would need to file the will for probate to get the official authority to serve as executor for her estate. But it would probably make better sense to just go ahead and sell the personal property and be done without filing probate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">