• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong ticket info on NYC web site, will I handcuff myself by contesting?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

NYWookiee

What is the name of your state? New York

I've got a parking ticket that was left on my car one morning in Manhattan. This morning, I tried to look up the ticket to pay online and when I punched in my license plate number, there were no violations listed. When I type in the ticket number, I can see the listed license number is wrong (one letter is incorrect), the make of the car is wrong (it's actually listed as a Mini, and if you were to see me you'd laugh---no way I'd be driving a Mini) and the time of day is wrong. The actual ticket has the correct info (although the sloppy handwriting is an indication of how the web data mistakes were made).

So, my question is, if I contest this ticket, will I be opening myself up to be fined anyhow? How else would I have the ticket? Can I be found by the system if the information is wrong?

CdwJava

Its your choice ... if you ignore it, they will likely put a lien on your car and depending on the laws of your state, could go after your license. If they use the computer info, they will likely discover the info is wrong and will refer back to the "hard copy". THEN they will find out who you are and you will be lieable for a LOT more than the original fine.

Pay the ticket. Its better than guessing what might happen over the next few months and having a big surprise come down a year from now.

Carl

A

alexv

I am on the other site of the fence.

I've got the ticket for double parking in manhattan at the location i was never at in my live. It was a weekday morning. I live and work in NJ (was at work that day -- never loan my car to anybody -- it's parked in a closed garage).

I did not see the actual ticket.

In your case, there is a "lucky" owner of Mini who would get the "NOTICE OF OUTSTANDING PARKING VIOLATION", just like I did for my car. No, I do not own the Mini (LOL).

Regards,
Alex.

Last edited:

JETX

Alex, do NOT hijack someone elses thread. It is both rude and confusing (when you think a response was to you... and it was to the original writer).
Please DELETE your response and start your own.

JETX

NYWookiee said:
So, my question is, if I contest this ticket, will I be opening myself up to be fined anyhow? How else would I have the ticket? Can I be found by the system if the information is wrong?
I disagree with cdw on this.

Morally and ethicallly, you should simply pay the ticket if you were at fault. However, if you don't, there is no way that they can find you. Simply, the license plate shown on the ticket is not you. How do you expect anyone to be able to issue a warrant or even track the citation to you?? Simply, they can't.
Do what your conscience dictates.

A

alexv

Jetx,

I did not mean to hijack the thread. I'm simply trying to point out that I am in my position because somebody else did not pay the parking ticket.

Sorry,
Alex.

N

NYWookiee

Since NYC has rules about incorrect ticket information (http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/dispute2.html), I've disputed the ticket. If they find against me, I'll pay it. As I've received a ticket in error in the past, I have no problem disputing this one. It's a judgement call as to what is written on the original ticket, so if they go back and check, there's still a chance it may go my way, but if they don't check the original, I should be fine.

Last edited:
A

amazon_b1tch

In New York City as far as I know if the plate number is wrong on the summons you don't have to pay it. It's up to the issuer of the ticket to get ALL vehicular information correct on the summons such as plate number, make/model of the car. If you receive any notices, contest them with a copy of your registration and a letter saying that this is not your ticket because the plate number is wrong. :D

A

amazon_b1tch

In New York City as far as I know if the plate number is wrong on the summons you don't have to pay it. It's up to the issuer of the ticket to get ALL vehicular information correct on the summons such as plate number, make/model of the car. If you receive any notices, contest them with a copy of your registration and a letter saying that this is not your ticket because the plate number is wrong. :D

JETX

"In New York City as far as I know"
*** Clearly, that isn't much.... since your post is NOT correct. The issue of the wrong plate and the inability to link it back to the writers vehicle has already been resolved...... and the incorrect plate number does NOT give the owner an 'automatic waiver' as your post indicates.

N

NYWookiee

If you take a look at the link I added above, it is specified that a misdescribed (as the NYC Dept. of Finance poorly terms it) plate number and/or incorrect make is grounds for dismissal, as well as it would be for other incorrect information. The onus is on the ticketing agent to get it right, and the record apparently is wrong. Of course, petitioning for dismissal means an administrative law judge will review the case, making the decision a judgment call anyhow. As for morals and ethics, I'm against paying this ticket if there's a possible reason for dismissal since I've paid for two erroneous tickets over the past five years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">