• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reckless Driving in VA, I am from PA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

heavy_d777

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I was pulled over in Virginia doing 77 in a 55 mph zone and given a summons for reckless driving. I was excited because I had just picked my fiance up from the airport after a long trip so I admit I wasn't paying that close of attention to my speed. I had also driven down from PA on I-95 that day and was used to the limit of 65. Anyway, I am from Pennsylvania and now I have to make a court appearance.
My speed was determined by pacing. I was surprised to hear 77 mph but it is definitely possible as I was distracted. Beside my speed I wasn't driving out of the ordinary in any way. So as far as I can see I am pretty much guilty but the penalties could be really heavy. I am wondering if I should plead guilty and try to explain myself. This is my first ticket in five years of driving, and I have never had an accident. The only thing that might be on my record is a warning for running a red light in Maryland.
So I guess I am wondering if I should plead guilty and try to explain myself and point out my clean record, or plead innocent and argue the inaccuracy of pacing to get my charge reduced to speeding. I am also wondering what if any the effect of my being out of state might have with the judge and how it could affect the penalty I incur. Also, I am debating whether or not to get a lawyer. Thanks for any help.

lwpat

20mph over in Virginia is now a standard reckless driving charge. If you can show for court they will usually reduce it to a simple speeding. If you cannot show then you need to retain an attorney since you do not want this on your record.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

heavy_d777 said:
What is the name of your state? Virginia

So I guess I am wondering if I should plead guilty and try to explain myself and point out my clean record . . .

My response:

Absolutely. Plead guilty, and then explain your situation EXACTLY as you've explained it here. Then wait a moment, while the knee-slapping and thunderous laughter begins from the "peanut gallery" of people, and the judge!

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">