• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical expenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

Flusstered

What is the name of your state? PA

I am the NCP. Per CS order I am required to pay a portion of the medical expenses incurred after deductibles have been met. My question is this, I have 3 children ages 20, 18 & 16. Am I required to pay for the 20 & 18 year old? I realize I have to pay child support until the child reaches 18 or graduates from highschool, but there is no breakdown as to age for the medical expenses. The support order was issued just prior to my oldest son's 19 birthday. I've been told I don't have to pay medical expenses for the 2 oldest children anymore, but I don't want to break any laws here. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

VeronicaGia

If both of them have graduated high school, you are not responsible for these charges. In fact, technically since they have both reached the age of 18 and are considered by law adults, they are responsible for their own bills. So, if the 18 year old hasn't graduated yet, you should probably pay the bills to avoid contempt of court. The 20 year old is on his/her own. If the bills are not broken down, contact the billing department of the physicians office and get a breakdown. If they refuse, since two of the children are over 18, send a copy of the bill back to the CP, registered mail, return receipt requested, demanding a breakdown of every penny, per child, from the doctors office. For all you know, you're paying her bills.

F

Flusstered

Thanks

Thank you for your response. I felt that that may be the case, but the CP will look for any reason to take me in on contept charges that I didn't want to assume anything. I will do as you suggested. Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">