• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving Record

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

opalbau

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? North Carolina

Hello, I was given a citation a while back for reckless driving because I spun my tires. Wasn't speeding, racing, or anything like that. I was just being an idiot and playing in my new (to me) car. The police officer told me to get a lawyer as he was giving me the ticket, but I was able to plead it down to 'Improper Equipment' by talking to an ADA.

Problem is now I want to enlist in the military, and though I haven't had my record pulled yet, I'm getting a bit concerned about the reckless driving. Someone told me I would have to get waivers for having a reckless driving charge. I know this isn't a military forum, but for those involved in record checks I was wondering if the reckless driving charge would show up and cause me problems? I was told that it would not show up on my record, but I'm still worried about it.

I was an idiot for one night in my life, but now I want to move on and serve my country. Any help and information would be appreciated, thankyou for your time.

dethwsh

Well, I know nothing about NC law nor getting into military service, but you should be able to get a copy of your driving record from the NC DMV. If it doesn't show on your driving record, then you should be fine.

I'm also surprised to hear that you would be excluded from military service even if the reckless is on your driving record. I looked up military service & it had the following information:
In general, the following additional conditions will render one ineligible for enlistment, and waivers will not normally be granted:
17. Civil conviction of a felony with any one of the following:

a. Three or more offenses (convictions or other adverse dispositions) other than traffic.

I don't know about the accuracy of the site, but it seems like traffic offenses (even felony traffic offenses) won't cause a problem.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Good Luck

racer72

Your driving record will have no effect on your attempt to join. A neighbor kid just joined the Army and his driving record was terrible. That was one of his reasons for enlisting, he won't be able to drive a car for a few months.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">