• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Surprised!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

iwant2bfree

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA
What is the name of State where Divorced Filed? Wisconsin

This is a surprise. My wife abandoned our marriage back in early 1981. She filed for a divorce shortly thereafter in the state she moved to, Oregon. I just found out she let her attempt for a divorce get "dismissed" a few months later. She stayed gone, with our two children, and kept moving around, living with various individuals for over 18 years. The children are both adults today, ages 26 and 24. Yesterday I was served "Divorce" papers. I had assumed I had been divorced for 24 years and, surprise, I get served. She has retained a lawyer in the state she lives, Wisconsin, and has filed "For a divorce" and "For such relief as the court deems just."
My question is should I be concerned that the judge would award her "relief" of any kind? I am capable of filing a response to her petition to the court explaining the series of events as I know them, including her attempt to extort "child support" payments from me. There obviously was never a judgement by any court but she said that if I'd agree to pay her $50,000 she wouldn't take me to court.
Does this surprise anybody else?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Why should it surprise anyone? You were just as remiss in not following through and simply assuming it was all taken care of. Did you not wonder where the divorce decree was? Did it not occur to you that there would likely be some sort of child support ordered? Did you not seek visitation with your children? 'Cause you say absolutely nothing of wanting to see them and not being able to. And your apparent knowledge of her living arrangements over 18 years indicates that you did have some idea of where to find her AND them.

That's really what surprises me - that you could be so lax with two children involved.

I

iwant2bfree

Surprised

stealth2, Get a grip or get some sleep. Whats up, do you use this forum as your personal venting board? If you don't have something constructive to add, shut up! There are alot of circumstances you know nothing about that doesn't affect the immediate situation.

Now I'd like to regroup and ask for help from someone you doesn't have their own ax to grind.
Thank you

M

Meursault

Now I'd like to regroup and ask for help from someone you doesn't have their own ax to grind.
O.K. here's your response.

Get a grip or get some sleep. Whats up, do you use this forum as your personal venting board? If you don't have something constructive to add, shut up! There are alot of circumstances you know nothing about that doesn't affect the immediate situation.

Now, if you want to apologize for your rudeness you will get an answer. If not, then you are free to leave. PERIOD!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">