• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fence on property (being nice)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jwillard99

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Georgia

I recently purchased a home and discovered during closing that the corner of my neighbor's fence is on my property. It actually comes to a point, about 5 feet into my property, but it's a wedge that is probably less than 20 square feet.

I've never spoken to those neighbors and therefore don't have a relationship with them, so meeting them and demanding they tear down that corner of the fence isn't exactly the best way to promote healthy neighbor relations. I don't really need the small portion of property that it occupies, but I certainly don't want to lose the property after 7 years due to squatters' rights. My question is, is it advisable, or even possible, to have a document drawn up for them to sign allowing use but acknowledging it is my property, I will retain rights to it, and I can request use of that property back at will? That way their fence remains, I keep rights to the property, and the neighborhood is a happy place. Is that crazy?

Thanks,

James

HomeGuru

jwillard99 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Georgia

I recently purchased a home and discovered during closing that the corner of my neighbor's fence is on my property. It actually comes to a point, about 5 feet into my property, but it's a wedge that is probably less than 20 square feet.

I've never spoken to those neighbors and therefore don't have a relationship with them, so meeting them and demanding they tear down that corner of the fence isn't exactly the best way to promote healthy neighbor relations. I don't really need the small portion of property that it occupies, but I certainly don't want to lose the property after 7 years due to squatters' rights. My question is, is it advisable, or even possible, to have a document drawn up for them to sign allowing use but acknowledging it is my property, I will retain rights to it, and I can request use of that property back at will? That way their fence remains, I keep rights to the property, and the neighborhood is a happy place. Is that crazy?

Thanks,

James
**A: encroachment agreement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">