• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Malpractice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jt123mim

What is the name of your state? California
I hired an attorney to represent me for a child support modification. He quoted me 1500 dollars for the entire deal, though I have now paid close to 3000 dollars. There are reasons for this such as my ex husbands attorney filing massive OSC'S on my finances. Anyhow the judge ordered that my ex pay me 21% of his income over a certain amount. After the judgement my attorney told me that I would see an increase in my child support quarterly or at the end of the year and that his office would take care of contacting my ex husband company and having the increase come directly from them. My court case was three months ago and I have just found out that my attorney never sent the paperwork to my ex husbands company. I fired my attorney and submitted the paperwork myself. Please advise

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jt123mim said:
What is the name of your state? California
I hired an attorney to represent me for a child support modification. He quoted me 1500 dollars for the entire deal, though I have now paid close to 3000 dollars. There are reasons for this such as my ex husbands attorney filing massive OSC'S on my finances. Anyhow the judge ordered that my ex pay me 21% of his income over a certain amount. After the judgement my attorney told me that I would see an increase in my child support quarterly or at the end of the year and that his office would take care of contacting my ex husband company and having the increase come directly from them. My court case was three months ago and I have just found out that my attorney never sent the paperwork to my ex husbands company. I fired my attorney and submitted the paperwork myself. Please advise

My response:

Did you have a question?

IAAL

n_and

If that non-existant question is something along the lines of, is this malpractice, your answer is no.

He quoted me 1500 dollars for the entire deal, though I have now paid close to 3000 dollars.
So? When I went through a custody battle and TPR I was quoted $2,500 and paid close to $6,000. It was well worth the price. Custody and Support issues are almost never what you get quoted. Re-read your contract.

I fired my attorney and submitted the paperwork myself.
Great job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">