• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small claims for vandalism?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mike Deason

What is the name of your state? Ontario Canada

Hello, I am wondering if I should file a claim in small claims for an act of vandalism against my property or if I should go to police & ask that criminal charges be laid?

The property damage is around 3 thousand & I have evidence that it was caused by an act of vandalism.

stephenk

Since this board only deals with U.S. law, I am not familiar with Canadian laws. In any event, what are you trying to accomplish? Do you want money for the damage or just to put the people in jail? If you want both, then file a small claims action and report the matter to the police.

Why havent you reported the vandalism anyway?

M

Mike Deason

The damage was a rock through my car windshield & tires slashed...I haven't reported because I just learned who did it. I'm not really interested in sending them to jail but wouldn't I recover damages through a criminal charge easier than small claims? I'm guessing they would get a fine and community service or probation and be forced to pay damages. I'm a transplanted American so I'm not that familiar w/Canadian Law either.

stephenk

report the matter to the police, then see if the canuck is willing to settle with you for the damages rather than get convicted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">