• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Associate Theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

audrey7169

What is the name of your state?MS

Someone please help. I have recently been accused of theft where i work. The loss prevention people come down and tried to talk me into telling them that i did. I didnt admit to anything and and she told me the conversation was over. I have bought gift cards from people around the store and use them myself. I paid the customer less than what was on the card so this helped me out. They said i was returning things under another name and that the counts on the items were off. We recently did an inventory and things were off everywhere. Its a known fact around the store that at least 3 of 5 things are wrong from what the computer says.

My actual question is that its saturday now and nothing has happened although she said i would be contacted soon. If she had some kind of hard proof wouldnt they have picked me up now.

Also when I got my check there was a seperation notice on it that said i had been fired for theft and that i must sign it. However i didnt sign. Can they put this at their descetion? Or again do they have to have hard proof. Also i called and quit the day before i talked to her because i found a better job. On the termination notice it says my last day worked was the day i talked to her which i didnt clock in or out and already told them i quit. Can they fire me a day after i quit?

Last edited:

JETX

"If she had some kind of hard proof wouldnt they have picked me up now."
*** Not necessarily. They have at least ONE year to charge you with criminal theft.

"Also when I got my check there was a seperation notice on it that said i had been fired for theft and that i must sign it. However i didnt sign. Can they put this at their descetion?"
*** Can they put 'what' at their discretion???

"Or again do they have to have hard proof."
*** Apparently, you mean can they terminate you for alleged theft without any 'hard' proof?? Yes. They can terminate you for ANYTHING that they want (except protected discrimination).

"Also i called and quit the day before i talked to her because i found a better job. On the termination notice it says my last day worked was the day i talked to her which i didnt clock in or out and already told them i quit. Can they fire me a day after i quit?"
*** Yep. The 'semantics' of whether you actually quit the day before, or were terminated the day after are just that..... semantics. You can certainly claim that you quit for a better job.... and they can claim that you were fired for being a thief.

A

audrey7169

"Also when I got my check there was a seperation notice on it that said i had been fired for theft and that i must sign it. However i didnt sign. Can they put this at their descetion?"
*** Can they put 'what' at their discretion???

I was assuming that they wouldnt put theft as the reason of being fired on the seperation notice unless they had hard proof, considering that they could be sued if they were wrong. Isnt that right?

A

audrey7169

Does her having documentation that i used gift cards in other people names although 3 associates seen me buy them give her a good chance to win the case. Considering the counts were off. The counts werent exackly off but she said there was at least one of most things that was returned on the card missing. Like I said early i think everyone that works there would testify that all the counts are off.

R

redcross

records

I had the similar problem as you.... Now, you said you got a job right after the problem.... Did you have any problems??? did they checked your records??
Im starting a new job pretty soon, and scared they'll go into my records....

A

audrey7169

Since i havent been charged yet i dont know that my last job can say anything about it. I believe its illegal in my state.

A

audrey7169

Did you get charged if so please tell me what happened to i know what to be aware of.

R

redcross

I first set a deal with the company to pay them off, but I didn't, so it went to court. I failes to appear in court two times (wasnt in the country) so as I came back I turned my self in and stayed in jail for a few hours. Then I got a court date.
So probably, you will get a court date pretty soon... try to get a layer ,even a public defendant for when you appear.
good Luck!

A

audrey7169

thanks,
How did they catch you?

Good luck to you also

JETX

Tell you what 'audrey'. You are confusing the hell out of everyone with your little 'chat session' with Red Cross.
I think that I'll hold off on answering any more of your 'legal advice' questions until you complete your little 'chatroom' conversation.
Bye.

A

audrey7169

How am i confusing people? I guess i wasnt aware that i could talk to others.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">