• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pit Bulldog/Owner responsibility

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the name of your state?Georgia

A young couple moved in next door to my mother about 3 months ago with 2 pit bulldogs. They claimed that the dogs would only bite if someone came into their yard. The dogs have came into my mothers yard almost daily and even walked into the front door of the house twice. My mother has told these people on several occasion to keep the dogs off of her property. Yesterday, my 4 year old neice and my mother were walking to the mailbox and one of the pit bulls went straight for my neice...my mother grabbed her up and held her over her head while the dog bit her on her leg (mothers leg). 911 was called and both Ambulance and police came. Unfortunately, there is no Animal Control in the County where she lives and the Police said there was nothing he could do. This just isn't right....how do we go about making sure these dogs are removed and the people are held responsible. My mother had a nervous break down on top of being bitten and pulled a muscle in her neck holding Kayla above her head so the dog couldn't get to her.

We need some good legal advice? Thank you.

This just seems wrong to me

JETX

Another suggestion.... and one that works wonders in Georgia and surrounding states.....
Buy mom a shotgun (in the unlikely event she doesn't already have one). Get some shells (size 4 to 7.5 are good recommendations). Have mom sit on her front porch, preferably with a bowl of ground chuck in the corner of the porch. The minute those dogs come within 15 feet of the porch, let fly with a few shots.
Voila!! Problem solved. (Oh, and be sure that she puts the bowl of meat in the kitchen before the police come. She can say that she was getting ready to make meatloaf for supper!).

ellencee

JETX
Aren't you quite the naughty boy today, stating that all GA women probably have a shotgun? Just in case Mom doesn't want a broken shoulder or to be knocked off of her rocker from the kick of the shotgun, Mom may want to report the animal(s) to the animal control department or officer. A dog that bites, especially unprovoked, is classified as dangerous and either euthanized or the owners are required to keep the animal chained and penned.

And no, I don't own a shotgun but I have fired one; the kick picked me up and sat me down!

EC

JETX

"And no, I don't own a shotgun but I have fired one; the kick picked me up and sat me down!"

Than you clearly are NOT the typical 110 pound Georgia woman!! Hell, my fourth (or was it fifth??) wife was from Georgia, and she could whip most men twice her size!!! :D

ellencee

JETX
I'm the kind of GA woman whose man-of-the-house would have settled the dogbite problem by returning the dog to it's owner and telling the owner to bury it now, since it bit his wife (or daughter) and he shot it!

EC

C

cncman

Investigate the leash laws that pertain to your area. In our area, at the very least, you can have the dog quarantined and tested for rabies. Your mom has suffered damages due to this incident and should be entitled to compensation for the medical attention, etc. If all else fails, get her a pet mountain lion... See if the same laws protect you. :rolleyes:

I am always Liable....Your are a true Gem of Knowledge. Jetx you made me laugh....thank you both very much. I'll be contacting a lawyer first thing Monday morning.

And just to reply on Jetx comment on us Georgia women. In my mothers younger years she wasn't afraid of anything. She would chase rattlesnakes with the push mower, cuss you out if she didn't like the way you looked and has even went to jail for kicking a grown man's butt and his wife's too.

She said she would have rather dealt with a rattlesnake then this dog. Plus it didn't help knowing the dog was after her granddaughter who weighs 34lbs and bone thin. If it would have gotten her it would have probably killed her. Anyways, thank you all for your replies.

M

Meursault

Let's see now....

Pit Bull

Shotgun

Gates Bar-b-que sauce.

Sounds like a July 4th fest to me :D

N

NancyLou9

I know this is the "tail" end of the thread

But this one was too funny. I think it was the BBQ sauce that got to me. :D

nextwife

AND, in lieu of a shotgun, hot pepper spray might be rather effective ( but alas, only temporarilly) and not result in a kickback.

JETX

Hell, I have used entire cans of 'pepper spray' on bad guys without much effect. Personally, I still like the shotgun idea.

Hey, another idea just came to mind..... have a sign painter make up a sign in Korean saying 'Free Food'. Then put the sign up on the neighbors front yard!! :D
Jus be sure to have a big old bowl of Kim'Chi!! Never could stand that stuff!!

M

Meursault

I'd rather eat the dog droppings than Kim Chi...YEEECH!!!!

:eek:

JETX

Meursault said:
I'd rather eat the dog droppings than Kim Chi...YEEECH!!!!
I ate a lot of KimChi when I was over there.... but never ate no dog droppings. I trust you to be able to tell the difference. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">