• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

theft ,no persecuted

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

redcross

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA
I've had a theft charge in MD in 2001. I've cited to go to court several times but not attended,so I got arrested for a day. I finally got an attorney and closed the case on 2003. At the court, no one from the other party showed so the judge dictated "non persecuted". I thought that was it , and that I got lucky.....
Now.... will that affect my chances of getting a job?? Do they allways go on the records??
Thanx people!!

enjay

You may have your record expunged in Maryland 3 years after the date the charge was nolle prossed. As it stands, the charge is on your record and should not be held against you. Obviously, at this point if you are asked if you have been arrested, you must state yes.

R

redcross

Thank you....
Now, im getting hired on a job. I only had an unformal interview and i have to bring all the papperwork this afternoon, Do you think they'll go into my records? Do you know if there is any way to clean the record, since the final statement was "not persecuted"??? (that means, no person showed at the court, no prooves) isnt't that like a dropped case?

enjay

The case was not prosecuted, which means that under Maryland law you must wait 3 years for the charge to be removed (expunged) from your record. That's 3 years from the disposition date, which is the date in 2003 that the case was completed.

Your failures to appear will also show up on your record. How were they disposed of?

Whether or not your background is checked is largely dependent on the industry you are going into. Whether or not a maryland records check is completed (given that you are in CA), depends on how extensive a check your new company requires.

R

redcross

Than you again,ENJAY....

For the Failature to appear in court, I turned my self in and explain them that I wasnt aware of the court dates for being out of country. I remain for a few hours on jail and paid a bail.... Do u know where can I get the records? and if there is any way to work with a layer to clean it asap???? ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">