• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Punishment for Theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

audrey7169

What is the name of your state?MS

I havent been charged with theft yet as i know of but i was wondering what kind of charges i could expect of found guilty.

As i know of i am being alleged of stealing $1300 or below.

I have heard that the judge takes your background into consideration.

I have never been in any trouble before except speeding. I have finished 2 years of college and plan to attend again this fall.

From what i know this much money is a felony. Considering Im in college and not on the street buying drugs what are the chances i could get off witha fine and no time spent in jail. Also considering my profession i cant have a felony on my record. Is it a possibility that it would be reduced.

Again i havent been charged but the facts look bad. :(

Please help im extremely worried and dont want my life ruined by misconception.

D

Donuts

Considering your information is correct then there would be a chance for a PBJ(Probation Before Judgement). Just keep in mind that there will be fines and court cost to pay. However depending on the evidence provided by the State you would need to consider a plea of guilty because they are going to push for that.

Your lawyer would need to work a deal with the SA and have them remain silent on the guilty charge for the felony.

This would allow it to remain off your record as long as you did not break probation.

Keep in mind that you should mention your job and your future. But the Judge may say to bad this is the price you pay.

Just Advice, hope this helps. :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">