• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help Please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcw888

What is the name of your state? Arkansas
Under duress, I had to file a joint Fed Tax Return in 2001. I am now divorced. In my divorce papers, my ex was to pay the tax owed in 2001 (as these were admitedly his taxes) I found out in July of 2003 that he had set up a payment plan with the IRS and had made 2 payments towards those taxes, but I was being notified that he had quit making payments. At this time I was being forced to file a chapter 7 because my ex had filed a chapter 13 (due to the fact he was going to inheirant a large sum of money) I was discharged. He received his money & then had his chapter 13 dismissed. During all this I was fighting him in the bankruptcy court as he had listed me as an unsecured creditor ( I was not & I finally won my divorce settlement) I was also dealing with the lien I had filed on his share of the estate he was to inheirtant, which I finally received. It was not a large sum & I fought this all on my own as it wasn't enough to hire an attorney.
I also filed an Innocent spouse form with the IRS in Sept 2003. I sent them a copy of my divorce decree, the probate information on his inheiritance & everything else to try & show why he should be solely responcible. After months of receiving nothing but requests on their part for 90 more days to come up with a determination, I received a notice yesterday stating that I was denied due to the fact I hadn't proven my Ex could pay the tax owed, no evidence that he had a legal obligation to pay (suggesting I take him to civil court to have my divorce decree enforced)
He has his inheiritance & to the best of my knowledge they haven't tried to collect from him since they've come after me. What can I do?
This is driving me crazy & thought I would be long over dealing with him by now. Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">