• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Repo'd Car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

grandmaof7

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Georgia

I co-signed for a car, the primary borrower defaulted on the loan and the car was repo'd. My first notification arrived 5 days after the repo. I have pulled equity out of my home to cover the default with a written agreement from Honda to not report a repo on my credit and the right to retrieve the car from the private auction site. My cost $16K plus $500 in storage fees and interest on the equity of 7.375% on a car with a blue book value of $13.5K

The primary borrower is refusing to cooperate with me in terms of co-signing the title so I can sell the car for a fair market value, etc. What court / law enforcement agency do I contact to get a "right to sell" the vehicle to recoop my expenditures?

stephenk

hire an attorney and sue the loser. what reason is the person giving for not wanting to sign off on the title?

G

grandmaof7

Repo'd car

Georgia

She won't give me a reason ...

She is the mother of one of my grandchildren who is currently involved in a custody battle with my son. She changed my address on the account (which is why it took so long for Honda to contact me) and simply stopped making the payments. When Honda called her, she told them to just come get the car and they did.

Cooperation is not in her persona! I intend to sue, but would certainly like to sell the car long before something like this can get through the court system.

JETX

Your post doesn't say, and it should be cleared up.... how EXACTLY is the vehicle titled??
If it is in 'your name OR her name", then you can simply sell the car without her signature.
However, if it is in 'your name AND her name', then both signatures will be required.

And if the latter and she refuses, your only recourse is to consider a lawsuit against her. You might consider doing that anyway as the amount of your 'damages' (the $16.5k paid, less the $13k book) is well within your states small claims limit ($15k). A benefit of taking this action is that the court may just order her to sign the also.

Best of luck.... and let us know how this ends up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">