• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Friend owes me money....long story

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

drdoug99

I am in Holland, Ohio.

please contact me at drdoug99at buckeye-express.com for more information or anything.

Last edited:

JETX

Far too long for anyone to swim through on a FREE advice forum. Shorten it down to the essentials and try again.

D

drdoug99

well the essentials are:

- I let friend borrow my car, which was for sale for $1600 dollars.
- He gives car to another friend, without permission
- He makes deal with friend so that he gets paid $1600 dollars, and out of that he takes 600, I take 1000
-So as of now I haven't gotten a penny, and the car I dont even want back anymore as they have abused it
- many months of frustration at friend, so i want $4200 dollars in compensation

JETX

First, you can't get $4200 since you have already established the value of the car to be $1600.

Second, you can take your friend to court for the CONVERSION of your vehicle....

conversion
n. a civil wrong (tort) in which one converts another's property to his/her own use, which is a fancy way of saying "steals." Conversion includes treating another's goods as one's own, holding onto such property which accidentally comes into the convertor's (taker's) hands, or purposely giving the impression the assets belong to him/her. This gives the true owner the right to sue for his/her own property or the value and loss of use of it, as well as going to law enforcement authorities since conversion usually includes the crime of theft.

N

nosleep

I am just curious how you came up with this statement
"so i want $4200 dollars in compensation". Where in the world did you get 4200 out of 1600??

D

drdoug99

thanks for the help.

so this "conversion" of my car, how should i bring this up to my friend?

i will print out this definition, and show it to him, and say "this is what you did, so I have a legal right to take you to court"

Well, the $4200 I know will be far fetched...but I would like to get some extra money for having to go through all this BS.."pain and suffering" right? or does that not apply in small claims court?

I figure as $1600 for the cost of the car
Another payment of $1600, as this is what my friend's "friend" agreed to pay him.
And then out of that $1600 dollars to my friend, we agreed on $1000 of that would go to me. So I don't know if I can get 4200 based on my "logic" :) but I would like to get a little extra.

So, as I see it, this agreement of the two "friends" would this be illegal? As my Friend who took the car, effectively gave the car to his other friend, and made an agreement to pay for the car....so does that fall in with conversion? It seems like it would be false selling or something...as he sold something he didn't have any legal right to do so in the first place.

thanks again for the help.

JETX

"so this "conversion" of my car, how should i bring this up to my friend?"
*** How should we know?? He's your friend.

"Well, the $4200 I know will be far fetched...but I would like to get some extra money for having to go through all this BS.."pain and suffering" right? or does that not apply in small claims court?"
*** You can't get 'extra' as pain and suffering on a claim like this..... and especially NOT in small claims.

"I figure as $1600 for the cost of the car
Another payment of $1600, as this is what my friend's "friend" agreed to pay him.
And then out of that $1600 dollars to my friend, we agreed on $1000 of that would go to me. So I don't know if I can get 4200 based on my "logic" but I would like to get a little extra."
*** you don't.

"So, as I see it, this agreement of the two "friends" would this be illegal? As my Friend who took the car, effectively gave the car to his other friend, and made an agreement to pay for the car....so does that fall in with conversion?"
*** Simply, this other guy purchased stolen property and technically, you could ask the police to recover it.....
One question I overlooked.... how did your 'friend' get the signed negotiable title required to transfer ownership to the 3rd party??

D

drdoug99

JETX said:
"
"So, as I see it, this agreement of the two "friends" would this be illegal? As my Friend who took the car, effectively gave the car to his other friend, and made an agreement to pay for the car....so does that fall in with conversion?"
*** Simply, this other guy purchased stolen property and technically, you could ask the police to recover it.....
One question I overlooked.... how did your 'friend' get the signed negotiable title required to transfer ownership to the 3rd party??
ok...this is where i probably did stupid stuff. well what i did was, after my friend gave the car to his friend, my friend said he would pay me 1000, and i said fine, just so i could get some money and get the car situation settled.

So me and my friend went to my bank and got the title of the car notorized, and put the name and information of his other friend as the new owner.

but we have not yet gone to the bmv. so i guess officially the car is signed out of my name, and does not officilay belong to anyone. So in effect this other friend is driving without true ownership.

also the license plates are still in my name, as the car is still an open title.

JETX

Then any parking tickets this guy got.... or banks that he robbed where the witness got YOUR tag..... will eventually come to you, huh??
And if he has an accident while driving YOUR car (still registered with the state in YOUR name), will have the victims come looking for you.... and name you in their lawsuit.

Looks to me like you have put yourself in a big pile of crap.... and unless you do something about it now..... you might just end up face first.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">