• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Loaned money to friend/need advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

supersquint259

What is the name of your state? VA

I loaned a friend 476.00 last FEB for autowork.
The verbal agreement was as follows:
payment was to be received either by working off the debt by housecleaning or by repaying the money. I told her she had until DEC 31st 2003 to clear her debt.
She cleaned once, did a horrible job and I decided to have her repay me with money insteaad. She agreed in an email.
I havent heard from her since.
I havent harrassed her in any way and have only asked her three times since she borrowed the money for repayment.
She is about to move and lose her job.

So, my questions are:
Since she is about to move and lose her job can I make her repay it early?
Will the judge look at the fact that she hasnt even attempted to repay me one single cent?
Since this was a verbal agreement and since she has made indications that she may lie in court, will the judge look at character of persons involved?

thanks for any advice,
Supersquint

JETX

"Since she is about to move and lose her job can I make her repay it early?"
*** What do you mean 'early'?? Based on your post, she was to have paid you in full by last December.

"Will the judge look at the fact that she hasnt even attempted to repay me one single cent?"
*** No. The judge will look at the 'terms' of your deal, the fact that you apparently altered it after the fact (by removing the OR cleaning part) and whether she accepted that alteration (you claim she did by email). Then the court will look at how much she owes.... and hopefully render a judgment against her.

"Since this was a verbal agreement and since she has made indications that she may lie in court, will the judge look at character of persons involved?"
*** And how do you propose to do that??? Will you bring a parade of witnesses to testify that she is lying and has lied in the past?? Or will you simply say, "Your Honor, she is lying!"?? The court will determine credibilty based on the presence and evidence.

S

supersquint259

My apologies. The date to be repaid was Dec 2004 and not 2003.

So, if she is about to be out of work can I make her repay the money while she is still employed?

When I ask if character comes into play, what im asking is if my employment, can help deem me more credible? Like for instance if I were a police officer or I worked for a national intelligence agency and held a security clearance etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">