• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does an officer have to show you the speed on a radar gun?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

smiesguy

What is the name of your state?
OH

I was traveling through a small municipality through a school zone. I was extra cautious to reduce my speed in the school zone to the 20MPH limit. Upon leaving the school zone, the speed limit is 25MPH, and I accelerated briefly to that speed give or take 5MPH until I hit a red light less then 1/4 mile from the exit of the school zone. I was pulled over by an officer you said I was speeding and asked for my information. Upon returning to the car he said he was issuing me a citation for doing 46MPH in a 25MPH zone. Since it is +20MPH I am required to appear in court. I asked him to see the gun, as I was certain I wasn't traveling at that speed and he said he had already erased it since I didn't ask to see it when he first approached the car. Do I have the right to see the speed listed on the radar gun?

lwpat

Many jurisdictions instruct their officers not to show the reading for safety reasons. There is no law in any state requiring that they show you the radar reading and it is meaningless anyway. How are you to know if it was your car or the one he stopped two hours ago?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">