• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

medical bills...who pays???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jparkj

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CO

I am in a situation where an ex-girlfriend of mine is pregnant. She doesn't have insurance and so when she goes to have a check up or any tests done and such she mails me the bills. She says I am legally responsible to pay half of the bills. Im not even sure if the child is mine or not. Obv. if the child is not mine...I know I don't have to pay nothing. If it is, who is legally responsible for the bills during her pregnancy? Im not trying to get out of paying them, but her threats are what I was wondering about.

Thanks,

Jparkj

tigger22472

No it is not your responsibility to pay. You aren't required to pay or do anything until paternity has been established.

VeronicaGia

You are not responsible for these bills. However, if she has the baby and uses state insurance for the costs, and you are determined to be the father of the child, the state will come after you both for reimbursement of birthing costs and child support.

She's not putting these bills in your name, is she?

tigger22472

VeronicaGia said:
You are not responsible for these bills. However, if she has the baby and uses state insurance for the costs, and you are determined to be the father of the child, the state will come after you both for reimbursement of birthing costs and child support.

She's not putting these bills in your name, is she?
good point Veronica. Wasn't even thinking about state assistance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">