• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is my signature binding

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mlawrence77

What is the name of your state?Missouri
The lawyer that handled my father's wrongful death suit settled with my mother in a malpractice suit. He required the signatures of all children living at home at the time of my father's death, before he would agree to settle.
I was 15 at the time, my mother told me she needed me to sign some papers so that she could get her money, I signed the papers at her lawyers office, my mother had to sign with me, because I was minor. At the time I did not know I was signing away my right to sue. Is my signature binding since I was a minor and my mother had a vested interest in my signing, and I was not told what I was signing?One of my older sisters did not sign and sued years later, she was awarded $150,000.00,

Last edited:

stephenk

you are out of luck. mom settled your claim on your behalf since you were a minor. your older sister had a distinct claim since she was an adult.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">