• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Both arms dislocated/broken during seizure.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TheRook

What is the name of your state? Florida

Three weeks ago I had a seizure. Nobody has given me any real great reason why I had the seizure. I was working sixteen hour days and had walking pnuemonia. The Doctor's say the combination resulted in the seizure. Whatever the reason, it happened, and nothing can be done about that.
Somehow, during the seizure, both my arms were dislocated at the shoulders. The ball part on both arms was broken and I had to have surgery to put it all back together. The Doctor says after physical therapy I may have 80% back. Right now I cant lift my arms to shoulder level, which means I can't brush my own hair let alone function normally. Yes, I can type as you can see. My hands and wrists work.
Because of this injury I lost my job. I had only been working there two weeks and so they couldn't justify keeping me on the payroll. Even if they did, there was no way I could do the job in the state I am in. Because of this, I may lose my mortgage loan. My wife and I were approved based on me having that job.
Since I was having a seizure, I have no recollection of how my arms were broken. Did I do it to myself? Does it happen to many people who have seizures? Or was the situation mishandled by the EMT's who came to help me. Perhaps they didn't follow procedure? Maybe they tightened the straps too tight. I have no answers. My other dilemma is I feel bad suing the very people who saved my life. The only reason I even came here to ask about it is because nobody I talk to can believe what has happened to me. Many suspect someone goofed.
So I'm just looking for some advice on what to do. Any advice would be appreciated.

Rook

stephenk

get a copy of your medical records. Where did you have the seizure? Any witnesses? If yes, ask them what happened.

tigger22472

No one can really say but as stated you need to find out if there were witnesses and what they saw. During a seizure anything can happen, you are not in control of your muscles and the get hurt in several ways. My husband has had them recently and has had marks on him where he's hit the nightstand next to the bed.

ellencee

TheRook
What is the name of your state? Florida -- Three weeks ago I had a seizure. Nobody has given me any real great reason why I had the seizure. I was working sixteen hour days and had walking pnuemonia. The Doctor's say the combination resulted in the seizure. Whatever the reason, it happened, and nothing can be done about that.
(TheRook)

Being in Florida in 90 degree weather, with pneumonia, and working 16 hours each day is reasonable cause for a person to become predisposed to having a seizure, especially if the person was dehydrated as well as could happen if the person worked outside all of the time or frequently during the workday.

Somehow, during the seizure, both my arms were dislocated at the shoulders. The ball part on both arms was broken and I had to have surgery to put it all back together.
A seizure is a dsyfunction in the brain, like fireworks of brain activity. The brain sends the messages to the muscles and during a seizure as you had, the muscles are receiving that firework-type messaging and responding with extremely strong and erratic movements, the force of which is enough to pull your shoulders out of joint and to dislocate other joints as well. Surely, you realize that you fell to the ground or to the floor as if you had been dropped from a height equal to your own. That fall was enough to break bones. Maybe you fell face down; maybe you tried to stop your fall by catching yourself with your hands. I have no idea what the "ball part" of an arm is, so I have no idea what you fractured unless it is the top of the humerous. The most frequent cause of that type of fracture is falling on the outstretched arm(s).

Since I was having a seizure, I have no recollection of how my arms were broken. Did I do it to myself? Does it happen to many people who have seizures? Or was the situation mishandled by the EMT's who came to help me. Perhaps they didn't follow procedure? Maybe they tightened the straps too tight. I have no answers. My other dilemma is I feel bad suing the very people who saved my life. The only reason I even came here to ask about it is because nobody I talk to can believe what has happened to me. Many suspect someone goofed.
Did you do it to yourself? Most likely.
Does it happen to may people who have seizures? yes
Did the EMTs mishandle you and fail to follow procedure? I doubt it, very seriously doubt it.

I realize you have been dealt a significant blow to your health, your income, your plans, etc., but the "many" who suspect someone goofed are themselves in error.

Your life changed in an instant and you have many adjustments to make.

Best wishes,
EC

tigger22472

Per usual ellencee is correct and explained it a lot better. I just wanted to point out that you mention your mortage company and/or loan. You need to look over your loan and speak with your lender to see if you obtained disablity insurance against that loan. That can definately help you. Start talking to your doctors about fully understanding your injuries and what they expect you eventual outcome to be. This is important as to know if they expect you to be able to return to work.

Ask questions about any CAT scans, EEG's or MRI's that they have taken. They will be able to tell you if there is anything showing that is odd. If anything is showing they can tell you if you have a higher chance of having another (even though there's no way of knowing for sure).

TheRook

Thank you everyone for your replies. I'm really not the kind of person who wants to bring litigation up on every little thing that happens to me. That hot coffee incident where the woman sued McDonald's makes me sick. I just don't want to be left with the check if someone else really had really messed up. As it is I will accept that what has happened was an accident and move on. I am just happy to be alive.

Thank you.

Rook

tigger22472

Something else I remembered to ask you. You mention you just started this job. Did you have insurance yet? Did you go from another job directly to this one? If so check into Cobra insurance. That is the insurance that is more expensive then regular insurance BUT will cover some things and you only have so much time to apply for it in. When my husband had his accident he'd only been back at this job for 2 months. He never got sick and wasn't concerned about waiting the 90 days for insurance. Of course his injuries were more quite a bit more but he was still able to go back and get the Cobra (which the hospital even paid the preminum(sp) ) When something unexpected like this happens you have to pull all your resourses. If possible also look into state aid to help with some of the medical bills. They will cover what insurance doesn't. I realize none of us want to think of these things but it does happen. And again... really talk to your doctors about long term and their outcome. There's the possibility of filing for Social Security Disability and that is a VERY long process that the sooner you apply the sooner you'll get it. I'm not sure the extent of your injuries and I realize that many with seizure continue to do well with no reaccurance but you just never know and it's better to be prepared. Good luck!

TheRook

I have insurance from my other job. As I said I was working 2 jobs. The new job was going to be my only job after June 9th. I work for an Elementary school and I was finishing up the year with them trying to be Superman and doing both jobs. Now that I have had this accident, I lost the new job, but luckily the Elementary school still wants me. I have the Summer off to recover and I can go back to work in August. So it isn't a matter of insurance... that really would have been bad. I'm just concerned about the house we are having built. My wife and I have to qualify for the loan, and my income from the school isn't enough. Now because of the seizure, i can't drive for 6 months, so I can't even look for another job. Anyway, I am sure it will all work out in the end.

changelessangel

Hi, Rook

Well, you're not alone. This exact same thing happened to me in 2000. It's been a long road getting back to normal. Well, I wouldn't say I'm totally back, but I'm better. I was 29 when it happened and in perfect health, and out of nowhere, I had a seizure. I still don't know what caused it, nor do I care anymore. All I can say is I know it sucks having everyone take care of you. Be strong. It does get better.

TheRook

Thankyou for the reply Changlessangel.

I posted this a year ago and have just about recovered now. My arms have healed about as well as I can expect and I can pretty much do everything I used to do. My doctor told me that dislocating a joint is not uncommon during a seizure.

The best news is we were able to get the house and I have since hired on to a new and better job. So life is good.

Hope you all have a good day.

Rook

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">