• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out of state speeding ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Dandandat

Hello all, I live in New York but I got a speeding ticket recently going through Virginia while on a road trip to Georgia.

The speed limit posted on the Virginia highway was 65mph and the officer pulled me over for supposedly driving 76mph.

I find it an odd number that he would clock me at "11"mph and was wondering if it had any significance.

Also I was wondering if any one knows what will happen to my driving record since it was an out of state ticket.

I don’t have the time to go fight it so will end up paying for it. Its a nice racket these guys got going, pull over the out of state driver and they are helpless to your whim. To be honest I doubt I was even going that fast I had cruse control on and kept it under 10mph over the speed limit during my whole trip from New York to Georgia. And what is worse is that I defiantly know that I was going with the flow of traffic, I was not alone on the highway, it was midday and there where quite a lot of cars all going the same speed as I was. I wasn’t even at the end of the pack.

Thank you for any help you can afford me.

BelizeBreeze

I find it an odd number that he would clock me at "11"mph and was wondering if it had any significance.
Oh yes indeed:D It's very significant. Usually, to make sure an officer is not wasting the court's time, they will set radar at 10 mph over the posted speed limit. Then, if you trip it, you're speeding. No question.

11 mph over the speed limit means simply that you were going 1 mph too damn fast. :D

Its a nice racket these guys got going, pull over the out of state driver and they are helpless to your whim.
Well waaaaaaaaaaa! I guess all the other 'out-of-state' drivers who obey the law would feel differently.

And what is worse is that I defiantly know that I was going with the flow of traffic, I was not alone on the highway, it was midday and there where quite a lot of cars all going the same speed as I was. I wasn’t even at the end of the pack.
Excuses don't make a defense. You got caught. Period.

D

Dandandat

Well waaaaaaaaaaa! I guess all the other 'out-of-state' drivers who obey the law would feel differently..
I don’t know, if the officer pulled over any of the other 30 cars (out of state or in state) who where driving the same speed I was - I think they would feel the same way I do. The point was no one was driving any slower then I was. But he picked me to pull over - Must not have liked that a New Yorker was driving through his stretch of high way.

Excuses don't make a defense. You got caught. Period.
Maybe the excuses you quoted don’t make a defense, but coupled with the fact that I’m pretty dam sure I wasn’t driving as fast as the officer said I was is a good defense. At worst if I lived in VA they would plea this down to a signal light violation, at best they would dismiss it. They know this when they pull over an out of state driver. Its free money with out the hassle of hearing some one complain.

By the way thank you for the information you provided before you proceeded to attack me.

lwpat

Virgina has gotten very tough on speeding. Drive ten over and it does trip the radar and you will receive a ticket. The officer usually has no idea at the time he initiates the stop if you are in state or out of state. The radar locks onto your car and he comes after you and is only focused on your vehicle.

Drive twenty over in Virginia and you will earn a reckless citation.

New York does not enter out of state tickets on your record.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">