• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need to get support payment lowered

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

c_duchardt

What is the name of your state? Maine

My child support payment is being based on my last two years of earning $35,000 per year driving a semi all over the country. Based on this they are charging me $84 per week and I only make about $300 per week now as an Idependant Contractor. By the time I set aside all my taxes and expenses I BARELY have enough to pay my own bills let alone $84 to her.

?#1 is this the right way to calculate this?
?#2 How do I get this lowered?

Now she is suggesting a Joint Custody between us so that I get our daughter for two weeks and she gets her for two weeks. She claims that this agreement will disentegrate the Child Support order.

?#1 is this really such a good Idea?
?#2 would this actually work?

T

truly

My child support payment is being based on my last two years of earning $35,000 per year driving a semi all over the country. Based on this they are charging me $84 per week and I only make about $300 per week now as an Idependant Contractor. By the time I set aside all my taxes and expenses I BARELY have enough to pay my own bills let alone $84 to her.

I am just coming at this from a single-mom-in-the-know about child support in PA...here the state can take up to and including 55% of your income to go for child support...if you are making $35k/year $4300 is not even 15% of your income. YOu could ask for a reduction....then again I could ask for a million dollars, I probably won't get it but it never hurts to ask. ;)

VeronicaGia

truly said:

I am just coming at this from a single-mom-in-the-know about child support in PA...here the state can take up to and including 55% of your income to go for child support...if you are making $35k/year $4300 is not even 15% of your income. YOu could ask for a reduction....then again I could ask for a million dollars, I probably won't get it but it never hurts to ask. ;)
Will you please stop giving people bad information? You are in PA, our poster is in Maine.

Federal law dictates how much child support can be taken. The 55% figure you quoted would have to include arrears if the poster has any. If not, most states use a formula whereby, in general, it is 25% gross or 17% net for one child, as long as there are no arrears. Also, you say that it is not even 15% of his income, that's GROSS income. You purposely forget the man has to pay taxes too.

To our poster, if you and your ex are in agreement, you can create that agreement and get a judge to sign it. However, realize that even with joint custody, support may still be ordered but it may be a minimal amount. If you and she can get along like adults, this is always the best way to handle things, but don't ever change the agreement between you two only. A judge MUST sign any new agreement or you will still owe exactly what you are currently ordered to pay.

T

truly

BelizeBreeze said:
There is a LOT more to this story simply based on the above quote.

I agree..$300 a week is only $15k...does he mean $300 a week net, and if it's net then his cp should already be garnished and removed...I hate to judge, but $84 a week isn't much to ask. $168 bi-weekly?? The poster should be honest...or figure out his math first... :)

haiku

actually, in Maine there is a possiblility he is only pulling in 300 a week after expenses as an independant....ain't much up in the great north woods but bark and chip and nothing comes back. 300 can be considered a good living up there, IF you don't pay child support.....I am not kidding,LOL.

might be time for our poster to do something else or leave Maine......

it is easier to change custody and lower support when it is not an outrageous plan, and most importantly the CP is agreeable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">