• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Denied Medicaid for pg women, MO

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mom2be2005

What is the name of your state? Missouri
I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this.
Over a year ago I lost my job and couldn't afford health insurance. My husband and I recently found out that I'm pregnant. I found out that I'm not eligible for his insurance because they dont' accept wives of child bearing age who haven't had insurance in the last six months, and they would consider the pregnancy a pre-exisiting condition anyway.
I went to the Division of Family Services Website which is here:
http://dss.missouri.gov/dfs/mpreg.htm

On their site, it clearly states that they go by the NET income of the family to determine if someone is eligible for Medicaid for pregnant women. Under those guidelines, after taxes we would be eligible with a family of three. (They include the fetus as a family member.)

I went to the DFS office and was told that they actually go by gross income so I am not eligible. I told them that the website was wrong, and they said I could appeal.

I have a hearing for the 17th of June. I just don't know if they're legally bound to comply with what they say on their website. Is there anything I can do or say to back up my case? Or am I just out of luck?

Even if I can't get the decision appealed, I would like to bring this to the attention of the state so that other families don't continue to be misled and get their hopes up for nothing.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">