• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Novel Question!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

flyngpg

What is the name of your state? CA. Does a writer have to get permission to use a historical figure/person in a novel?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

flyngpg said:
What's the "yes" and what's the "no"??

My response:

You were very sparse with your initial post. Define "historical figure". Such "figures" take many forms from differing backgrounds. Are you talking about Gandhi, Amelia Earhart, or the Beatles?

IAAL

flyngpg

now you're freeking me out!!! The historical figure is from a semi-famous haunted house. Writer wants to fictionized the story.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

flyngpg said:
now you're freeking me out!!!

MY RESPONSE: I have a tendency of doing that with people.

The historical figure is from a semi-famous haunted house. Writer wants to fictionized the story.

MY RESPONSE: No, no, no. I need to know the historical figure's name. For example, and in an attempt to answer your question, some historical figures' names are still owned by their family and cannot be touched without permission or a license - - like the name of, and persona of, "Bella Lugosi" (Dracula). Whereas, other names in history, like Amelia Earhart, and her persona, are not owned.

Haven't we been having some nice, cool, weather in Southern California?

IAAL

flyngpg

Great weather. I wish it would stay this way. The Whaley House in San Diego is the one I'm talking about. Where would you look to find out about the names? Also, how did you know about being a hairdresser?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

flyngpg said:
Great weather. I wish it would stay this way. The Whaley House in San Diego is the one I'm talking about. Where would you look to find out about the names? Also, how did you know about being a hairdresser?

My response:

Sorry. There's just too much time between my responses and your posts. I lost interest in the subject. Besides, the Whaley House is not a "historical figure/person". When you know what you're talking about, and can answer my questions, then come back.

By the way, didn't it strike you as curious that I would ask you about the weather in southern California when you never mentioned you were writing from southern California?

As for you being a hairdresser - - I know who you are, my dear. You're Barbara C. Schulz! Now, how did I know that?

Still freaking out?

IAAL

Last edited:

flyngpg

I have lost interest too! Won the lottery Wed. nite, but you probably already knew that. Bye Bye...........BS :)

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

flyngpg said:
I have lost interest too! Won the lottery Wed. nite, but you probably already knew that. Bye Bye...........BS :)

My response:

Congratulations!

I'll see you next Wednesday @ 2:00 p.m. for my trim appointment.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">