• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Interstate/internet threats

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Q

Quiet Sound

Excuse me if this is posted in the wrong place but it seemed most appropriate.

A friend of mine in Washington state has been threatened (death threats and threats of rape) by a guy in California. The threats have occured over the internet and we believe we can get notarized logs from the host of where the threats are being made. My friend would like to pursue legal action against this guy but due to the interstate/internet nature of this it doesn't seem so simple as going to the local police so suggestions would be much appreciated.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Quiet Sound said:
Excuse me if this is posted in the wrong place but it seemed most appropriate.

A friend of mine in Washington state has been threatened (death threats and threats of rape) by a guy in California. The threats have occured over the internet and we believe we can get notarized logs from the host of where the threats are being made. My friend would like to pursue legal action against this guy but due to the interstate/internet nature of this it doesn't seem so simple as going to the local police so suggestions would be much appreciated.

My response:

Do both sides of this equation know each other's actual names and addresses?

IAAL

Q

Quiet Sound

The guy is an acquaintance of a former friend my friend had a falling out with and it is possible he possesses her address and certain her knows her name. My friend is looking into getting his name and address from a 3rd party but currently only knows his first name.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Quiet Sound said:
The guy is an acquaintance of a former friend my friend had a falling out with and it is possible he possesses her address and certain her knows her name. My friend is looking into getting his name and address from a 3rd party but currently only knows his first name.

My response:

And, how do you know it's actually "the guy" who's actually doing this, and not some imposter?

In any event, until you know it's him, for sure, and you know his full name, there's nothing you can do at this point.

IAAL

Q

Quiet Sound

And once -- assuming it can -- evidence can be presented of the perpetrator's identity?

Q

Quiet Sound

It's not an email site where this is happening but a game site and this guy has harassed her twice now and had to go through the trouble of tracking her down for this second time as her contact info was changed after the first incident. And this time he's making threats.

stephenk

oh well, maybe your friend will have to decide to stop playing online games at that particular site.

CdwJava

To begin with, the 'victim' would have to inquire with the local police department to see ifd the threats in any way rise to a criminal level in WA state. Chances are, if they are not being e-mailed to the individual, and the 'suspect' is in CA, they will not rise to a criminal level.

Sorry.

But, it might depend on the nature of the threats - what is being said/written?

Carl

Q

Quiet Sound

As of yesterday:

remember the name christian because when your friend is dead, the one you won't be able to protect, that is the name you'll want to find

see I have less control than he does and I'm a bit more impulsive and cruel ;-)

I was asked to leave you alone but once I found you I couldn't resist the urge

truly yours,
christian XOXO

ps - death for you will be slow and painful, goodbye for now
The "he" mentioned in the second one being the former friend who has been harassing her from time to time but hasn't made any threats.

dequeendistress

Change user names on the site, use a different site, refrain from posting personal information in chat and game rooms or anywhere on the internet for that manner. You know persons can gain entry thru the back door when you are connected to the internet and see who the computer is registered to and if you have your real name and your actual address, well you get the picture.

Really why has this not been reported to the administrator of the game site? They can find the IP of the party or parties.

Plus your quotes indicate that this conversation is between three parties.

Not that things like this should go unreported but the burden of proof still remains.

Q

Quiet Sound

It has been but the site claims to have on the order of 10k regular visitors which of course means quite a bit of peoole sending messages to the Admin. However various staff members who can contact the Admin at will are very much reachable, they just haven't been contactable in the day and a half since this started.

/edit

And yes, I've looked up the domain registrant info but there is no new contact information there.

Last edited:
D

Donuts

I would recommend changing e-mail address and if her phone number is listed then change it and have it unlisted. There are things she can do to evade this person if she choose to do so. If she get's a new e-mail then she can put false information in the contact area. Even stating she is a male if needed. Do not use her real name in the contact area.

If this guy finds her a 2nd time then there is a problem but until a direct threat on her life is made there is nothing she can do.

Also I'm sure there is a block feature and I would suggest using it. When she signs up a new account then just block the name and then have no further contact with this guy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">