• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

new divorcee, need help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tjhlpn

What is the name of your state? Tennessee
i was divorced may 21, 2004.i am in arkansas now, the judge awarded certain property to me, and my ex was awarded a car, that i am to take to him in tenn. it was agreed between our attorneys that no exchange of property was to take place until after the 10 day appeal period, and that i had about two weeks to get arrangements in order to make the trip to exchange property, all at my expense. he also has to pay me $4000.00 and is to pay me 1000.00 of that prior to the property exchange, as well. well he showed up at my parents home in ar, 7 days after the divorce, with the law ,demanding the car. he has now filed an order of contempt on me for not returning the car. i was not home, and it went against the verbal agreement between us and our attorneys. he stated in the court papers that i had agreed with him to come that day to make the switch, and is asking that i pay all those expenses. no such agreement was made, as i no longer have accepted his calls since the divorce, he just came on his own. i have filed a warrant petition for harrassment and terroristic threatening after some messages he left on my phone that night, but i would like to know what recourse i have since he went against the verbal agreement between attorneys and lied in these papers to have me go back to court, for not returning the car. i still do not have my property or any of the money he owes. i will gladly give the car back, but as i said, i was not home and he went against the agreement btween the attorneys and ourselves.

hope your attorney intends to vouch for the agreements you're saying he/she was witness to at your contempt hearing. I wouldn't think your ex not complying with the agreements (or orders) would justify your not following the orders in a judges eyes. just an opinion I'm not an attorney - I'd comply with the divorce decree and make my attorney do what I'm paying them to do.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Verbal agreements are as good as the paper they're written on, and about as enforceable.

VeronicaGia

Terroristic threats? Who is he, Osama bin Laden?

I can see this will be another excuse people use in court....terroristic threats. Now everyone's a terrorist?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">