• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Modification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

ProudDad

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Missouri is where my case resides.
Thanks for your advice. My ex-wife and I divorced in Illinois in 2001. At the time I agreed to pay 80% ABOVE the support guidelines for child support to ensure my children were well taken care of. My ex-wife moved to Missouri with our 2 children. In early 2002, we agreed to decrease the child support slightly. Even with the decrease I am still paying 70% above guidleines for child support. I have since moved to Texas, have remarried and am expecting another child later this year. That said, our case now resides in Missouri. Based on the $4,000 per month in child support I pay, I am currently paying significantly over the Missouri guidelines. My ex-wife works, the children are old enough to not need day care and I pay 100% of the children's medical insurance. My ex-wife uses the child support to pay 100% of her bills (mortgage, car, utilities, etc.) as well as new furniture, salon visits and vacations with her boyfriend. None of the child support is being put toward the children's college education. My question is this: Since the child support I am paying differs by greater than 20% of the Missouri Form 14 calculation (according to the form I should be paying $2000 per month-I am paying $4000), do I have just cause for a modification? My circumstances have changed also in that I have remarried, have another child on the way and my current wife does not work due to complications with her pregnancy. I also have transportation costs in order to see my children regulalry. I would like to reduce my child support to the Missouri guidelines - which should still cover all of my ex-wife's bills. Ideally, I would like to have some of the child support also allocated to the children's college education since my ex-wife is sadly using it to finance her own life. Is it likely a judge would modify the support and also order some of the support be allocated to the children's future college education? I make significantly more money than my ex-wife however, she is employed and would still receive a significant amount of child support. I do not want to rack up hefty legal fees unless my case seems solid and a decrease to the guideline support is likely. I appreciate your insight.

M

megscoolmom

Check out your state resources

I live in Texas so things might be very different, however if you haven't already done so check out your local Attorney General's office. In the state of Texas a person can go thru the OAG for a child support review for free if one of the two apply 1) it has been 3 years since the last review or 2) there has been a 20% or more change in your income. Not sure your state is the same, but its a great, cost-free place to start.

Good Luck

P

ProudDad

Thanks

Thanks for your input. I have retained a highly recommended attorney and it appears my case is pretty much a slam dunk. It's just a matter of when I want to pursue it which is immediately.

M

megscoolmom

Good Luck

Sounds like you are well on your way to getting things resolved. Hope everything works out for you. Your kids are lucky to have a dad who has been so willing to support them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">