• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contesting Citation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dntdbeetl

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

I parked in on the street next to a sign that stated "No parking in Driveway." The back of my car was behind the sign yet still not blocking the driveway. I was ticketed for $33 for parking within 5 ft of the driveway. Apparently this was also a towable offense because my car was taken away. I found my car on the tow truck one block up picking up another car, he informed me that he could have given me my car had he still been on the same block, but since he was not he had to take it in. Normally I would just pay the ticket but I was also fined for towing and storage. The only way that I can be reimbursed for him towing my car is to contest the citation and get it waived. I intend on going to the Traffic Violations Bureau and speaking with the Hearing Office as I was instructed.

I have no proof of where I was parked other than the ticket itself. Do you have any advice on ways I can contest the parking ticket or things to say to the Hearing Officer?

JETX

Start with "Good morning". Then state your reasons that you believe the ticket was not warranted. From there, you have to 'wing it'.

racer72

From your description the sign had absolutely nothing to do with your citation. You obeyed the sign and did not park in the driveway. But many if not most jurisdictions have laws that restrict parking in certain areas, and where you parked your vehicle parking within 5 feet of a driveway is a parking violation. No special signage would be required if that law applys to the entire jurisdiction. Before contesting the citation, you may wish to take some time and study the parking laws that apply to where you were cited.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">