• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how does loss of job affect child support and custody?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Query1234

What is the name of your state? CA

My spouse has joint custody with Ex but pays child support each month. If ex-spouse becomes unemployed due to misconduct at work, will that increase child support or will there be no affect?

The ex-spouse is also not a model parent in that there is mild to moderate child abuse (which CPS knows about but cannot do much due to insufficient evidence) and much emotional abuse.

Thanks.

crickee

State: California

Have you gotten any feed back on this situation? This is similar to ours. The ex-girlfriend and my fiance have joint custody, and she is considering quiting her full-time (with benefits) job and she believes he (my fiance) will have to pay more in child support. Is this true? If CS is based on income will he end up supporting her? If you volentarily quit and pick up a part-time job making much less, how will that effect the CS?

She is also not the model parent: emotional abuse, parting during the week, drinking, smoking, fast food, video games/tv a majority of the time is how this child lives. But of course the courts don't care about those facts.

Last edited:

wondreing

You would have to check with your local child support enforcement agency, but most states will not change the amount of support ordered because of voluntary unemployment by either party to the order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">