• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I pay child support with clothing ect.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

Witts-End

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? My child is in AL the divorce was in AL. I live in GA.

My ex-wife lives in AL, we have a 2yr old baby girl. The ex-wife is disabled and recieves roughly 500 a month SSI benefits as well as an additional 500 a month SSI benefits for her son (not my child biologicaly). Recently she moved an 18 year old boy into her house, who has no car, and is not working. The ex-wife is using the child support I am paying her to support this 18 year old boy in her household whom she is engaged to. Without my child support payment she could not affort to support him.

I would like to know what options I have, if any, for NOT paying her money; but instead buying clothes for my child, or gift certificates at a local grocery store. I would like to do ANY other acceptible form of payment other than giving her money so that she can support this 18 year old boy whom she is engaged to.

Honestly I do not care what she does with her life, as long as it does not effect my baby girl, and this, in my opinion, IS effecting her. Thank you in advance for any replies.

tigger22472

Any clothing or anything you give to your child is considered a gift. Child Support is to help not only with clothing but with other things required to live so the answer to your question would be again you can give your child all the clothing you want but you'd still be required by law to give the money for child support that the court deemed fit.

you can take her back to court

In my state AR you can request through court that no parent can have a member of the opposite sex stay over night or live in the house unless a
relative.

I am not an attorny, this was in my divorce decree.

W

Witts-End

So basically I am SOL in this respect. Any clothing given to my child is considered a gift and the only acceptible payment method is cash, check, moey-order ect. Thank you for the reply.

F

Flusstered

I'm not one to give advice in areas that I'm not properly educated, but I can tell you from experience that no, there is nothing you can do regarding where or how your CS payments are spent. My daughter begged me to buy her a new winter coat last fall because her father (the CP) said he didn't have any money. I questioned where all the CS I sent was going and I was told he did not have to account for it. He could spend it on vacation if he wanted. I know it doesn't sound fair, but that's just the way it is. As long as your child is being fed, clothed and not abused (in the legal definition) your ex can spend that CS anyway she sees fit and you can't do anything to change it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">