• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

here's some of the questions I have

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?ar

I will ask the questions if you need back ground just ask.

My ex's parents have custody/guardianship of our children. Is there a law
that states that if they go after one parent for childsupport do they have to
go after the other? I pay the support my ex does not have to.

Next

The support order states that I must pay childsupport until the children are
18 or should have graduated high school. My son has quit school, I did agree to this if he would enroll in Votech or some other form of education. He has not if he does not can I go to court and get the support stopped when he turns 18 and not have to wait until he should have graduated from high school.

Next

My daughter has spent more time in juvenile hall and other forms of lock up than she has living with his parents, almost a year. Who am I paying this support to?

I do not have the money to hire a lawyer. I have talked to few and they all tell me the same thing. Retainer etc. I cannot pay childsupport and hire a lawyer so I will have to handle this by myself.

p.s. I am a survior of domestic abuse (that may give you some back ground)
and yes this was proven.

topsidder

I am not an attorney, but here is my advice.

1. You wrote "should have graduated High School" it is my understanding that you pay support untill 18 or their class graudates. You should check your state guidelines on this. This should cost you nothing. I can direct you to state code. I need sometime to look up the link.

2. In theory, when the state becomes involved with child support, both parents are financially responsible. Remember, the State represents the chil(ren) not either parent. My GUESS would be that if neither of you have physical custody, and the State is collecting support, both parents are financially obligated to the entity that has been awarded physical custody. It could be that since your ex's parents have the child(ren) they have agreed not to pursue their own child for support.

3. I am sorry to hear the problems your chil(ren) are having. It does make me question the courts decision on who has physical custody. Does not sound like they are in a good environment.

If you really are low income, you should qualify for legal aid. If your case is strong, you would be awareded attorney's fees and then your attorney would get paid. Ask attorney's to work on contingency. Please, do not give up. Spend this energy learning as much as you can about your rights. Most importantly, do not mess-up your responsibility. It is a difficult fight when you ask for rights when you cannot meet your responsibilities. Make certain you pay your support on time.

VeronicaGia

basslady13 said:
What is the name of your state?ar

I will ask the questions if you need back ground just ask.

My ex's parents have custody/guardianship of our children. Is there a law
that states that if they go after one parent for childsupport do they have to
go after the other? I pay the support my ex does not have to.

Next

The support order states that I must pay childsupport until the children are
18 or should have graduated high school. My son has quit school, I did agree to this if he would enroll in Votech or some other form of education. He has not if he does not can I go to court and get the support stopped when he turns 18 and not have to wait until he should have graduated from high school.

Next

My daughter has spent more time in juvenile hall and other forms of lock up than she has living with his parents, almost a year. Who am I paying this support to?

I do not have the money to hire a lawyer. I have talked to few and they all tell me the same thing. Retainer etc. I cannot pay childsupport and hire a lawyer so I will have to handle this by myself.

p.s. I am a survior of domestic abuse (that may give you some back ground)
and yes this was proven.
1. Not sure there is a law that state it, but usually both parents are liable for the financial support of the children.

2. Depends. At age 18, if he decides to go back to school or if they can prove he is taking classes to get his high school diploma, then the judge will not allow support to stop. This could be tricky, but if at age 18 he is not back in school, I'd file to have support terminated.

3. Many times when a juvenile is in some type of lock up, the facility demands payment for food and housing for the juvenile. Maybe the guardians are paying this, maybe not. Realize the state could look to both parents for reimbursement of costs associated with juvenile lock up.

4. Not sure why you mentioned the domestic violence as it has no bearing on whether or not you are legally responsible for the financial support of the child.

trying again

Ok this is why i was mentioning the abuse. I was running for my life moving changing my phone # you know the drill. I was niave when I thought his parents would be good for the children until I could get my situation straighten out. His parents became very bitter because I kept having my ex arrested and thus kept the children away from me and told them how bad I was by taking their daddy to jail. Of course he parents would bail him out and he would come after me again. He ran me off the road I had to quit my job and a bunch more. The judge I think thought that my situation was very volitale was only going to get worse before better. Of course his parents said yes they would let the kids see me and make sure their son would get help blah blah blah. They had money I didn't. I talked with the judge and I honestly thought it would be ok. I was very niave.

I just want what is in the best interest of the children. I have kept incontact and I pay my support on time. I just wanted to know why he gets off scott free. Can I take him to court or push that the Child support office go after him also.

I was awarded my personal stuff and other things in the divorce I never received. My ex's dad called and told me it was burned in a house fire. Yes he set the house on fire so I would never get anything. Can I sue him for my stuff or can I sue his parents they had his power of attorny at the time, and allowed him to do this. Anything to make me misserable or make me come back that was what it was about. So they didn't have to live with him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">