• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

city directory look-ups on the web

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

morgz

What is the name of your state?
Massachusetts
Can anyone tell me if it is considered fair-use/legal to transcribe facts from city directories (name/occupation/address/age...) and offer this information as a service (look-up) on the web for small fees? I realize facts are not copyrightable, perhaps the way the information is presented is copyrighted... hence my transcribing the information rather than photocopying the pages. Can it be modern or must I stick to public domain years? I have asked a large online selling outlet (guess who? LOL) for there permission and they were rather puzzled. No one had as of yet thought or at least presented to them this idea. They did not tell me no. Any input is greatly appreciated, and I thank all in advance.

divgradcurl

Can anyone tell me if it is considered fair-use/legal to transcribe facts from city directories (name/occupation/address/age...) and offer this information as a service (look-up) on the web for small fees?
It would be legal, as long as the information is public information. As you correctly note later, facts are not copyrightable, but the format can be, so by using your own formatting, you will not be violating anyone's copyright.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">