• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spouse threatening to quit job if I seek own attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

misinformed

Married w/5 children & spouse threatening no child support if I seek own attorney

What is the name of your state? Texas

My husband and I have been married for over 15 years. We have five children together between the ages of 4-15 years old. He has had two children with two other woman during our years of marriage. He has also had numerous affairs. He is a nursing supervisor and is currently attending college to advance in his career. I have mostly been an at home wife and do not currently work. We have both agreed to get a divorce. He is trying to convice me to do one of those "self-divorce" packets. I have told him I would rather attain my own attorney but to this, he threatens to quit work and school and to claim depression; basically telling me I would not get a cent from him for child support. What can I do??

Last edited:

BL

Consult an Attorney , and get his/her opinion on what you should do . Obviously if he Quits,there will be no income.

On the other hand, he does not have to sign or agree to do it your self Divorce either. Then you'd be out the Fees , and back to square one.

nextwife

Of course, if there are already 2 seperate child support orders out there, I'm not sure how much more is left to take from him, even if he continues working. No matter what, you'd better plan on working to support your kids, in addition to whatever you get from him.

BelizeBreeze

Then it's easy. You tell him if he wants to use the same attorney that's fine with you. You'll take one of the cars, the house and he takes all the debt. Otherwise, you're open to negotiations :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">