• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IAAL, JETX, stephenk ...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mac105

What is the name of your state? PA
I know, wrong place, but right people. I allowed a friend to post a question on the 'Government & Administrative Law Matters' page b/c she didn't know where to post. Neither did I, for that matter. All she would like to know is who to contact regarding this matter. Local police don't want to be involved, company the product came from does not either. If you can't advise, that's fine. If you can, thank you. mac105

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

mac105 said:
I know, wrong place, but right people. I allowed a friend to post a question on the 'Government & Administrative Law Matters' page b/c she didn't know where to post. Neither did I, for that matter. All she would like to know is who to contact regarding this matter. Local police don't want to be involved, company the product came from does not either. If you can't advise, that's fine. If you can, thank you. mac105

My response:

Am I supposed to know what you're talking about? Why don't you state your situation and question?

IAAL

mac105

IAAL ... oops, sorry ....

I will copy and paste the problem here. That will then make it a double post, so I hope you will forgive me for that. Regarding my post here: I checked for responses for her quicly, and was about to be late for work, hence, the half baked post. Copied and pasted from 'Government & Administrative Law Matters':
Direct me to correct place if I am in wrong site. mac105 is allowing me access to do this b/c I am not a member.

my son is mildly mentally challenged. A part of his disability is to believe and trust everyone, no exception! He is 27 yrs. old, works part time jobs and does well, and is able to stay at home by himself while I am at work. He is a wonderful young man. I say all of this to explain how this problem has occurred.

Tuesday I found a BIG box on my porch addressed to him from a vitamin company. When I got him home from work, I asked if he had ordered something I did not know about. No, he said. But some boxes were supposed to come from different companies, he was to save them and then fedx them to a 'friend'. I said I was going to open it b/c this all sounded fishy and he got very upset b/c it was for his 'friend'.

the box contains vitamins and order request totaling $1353.45, paid by VISA, shipped to my son. Neither one of us has charge cards, only debit, and knowing we did not have that much in either account, I asked him how this all happened. he showed me a 'chat' archived message from some girl in Nigeria who said she needed help, would he receive packages for her, save them all, then put them into a big box or two and have fedx ship them to her, that this was her business, selling, but she needed help getting products. Well, hells bells, if you need help, my son will do anything, like the girl who got him 4 nights ago and wants money. He and I have gone around on that one, b/c he does not understand that these people are takers and users! Sorry, off on a tangent.

I called the vitamin company, and we compared charge card numbers and neither mine nor his were the ones billed. (yes, I suspected my card used) The man I spoke with asked for our email addresses to compare with the one used for conformation re: the order. No match. I told the man that our local news had a piece last week about a Pittsburgh woman who got involved in the same thing, but the power went out before the story finished, severe storms. Never thought about it till this happened!

I told the rep that it would be returned, and asked to what authorities he would report this credit card theft. he said he would just refund the money to the cardholder. Well, the card OWNER apparently does not have the card! So the girl in Nigeria gets that amount back to use someone else! I said he needed to tell police? FBI? No, he would just note that the merchandise was returned and the customer credited. ?????

So my thought is to wait the couple days she says and receive another package, so there is more than one piece of evidence. All of this stuff will be returned, no problem. But this 'person', as long as money is being credited back to the card, can find another easy mark, and some innocent person will be responsible for the bill.

Local police say they don't handle this problem. This is a scam, yes, but it needs to be dealt with.

So, whom do I contact? Sorry so long. Please help.

BelizeBreeze

Call the post office and tell them you want to speak with an inspector. Tell him/her the story, give them all your documentation and ask them to 'flag' any further boxes of product coming to your residence.

Then leave it up to them to investigate.

smorr

The original package came supposedly because of an internet chat line her son involved himself in with a woman claiming to be from Nigeria - she's the one he's supposed to "save" the packages for. Make sense now?

smorr

In answer to the original 'post'.... has she thought about doing something awful??? Like pulling the plug on the damned computer so her son can't answer e-mails - or lock it somehow!!!??? If she's been through this with him before and he is mildly challenged, I'd think she would have thought of this solution already! I understand he has a good heart - and that's great, but his 'heart' is going to put her in a lot of debt one of these days! She's the Mommy, remember?!

dequeendistress

Chat rooms are not a place for someone who blindly trusts others.

Now you have a situation where persons have an actual name and address. This could escalate to other SERIOUS problems in the future, not that this one is not.

As far as this making sense, unfortunately it does and does not, if you know what I mean.

mac105

smorr

If I were on your end, my thoughts and response would most likely be the same as yours. The 'before' part doesn't apply. The son, in the two weeks or so, discovered yahoo instant messenger, and a friend told him about chat rooms. When the son showed her the chat archive this past tuesday, that was the first time she knew of his introduction to YIM. She looked back through the almost week of archived messages and found the $200 thing. So, this was not something that had 'happened before'. It was a week long thing for him, and news to her. dequeendistress, he is a young man trying too hard to fit in somewhere, and that makes it tough, but you are right. Thank you all for the input. BelizeBreeze, I don't think the post office can help b/c the boxes came UPS. but once again, I thank you for responding. mac105

Last edited:

mac105

BelizeBreeze

BelizeBreeze said:
Listen, delete either this or your other post and keep the facts in ONE post. No one is going to chase you around the forum trying to keep their response in the right place.
When I re-posted to 'other crimes' it was b/c I saw where she had posted. That site had 7 posts at that time in the past 30 days, and only two of them had replies. Not a good sign for an answer in a hurry. hence, the statement " I allowed a friend to post a question on the 'Government & Administrative Law Matters' page b/c she didn't know where to post." followed by a statement for IAAL that said, "That will then make it a double post, so I hope you will forgive me for that." I didn't ask anyone to 'chase' me around and tried to explain that. Regardless, I still appreciate your response.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">