• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Support for Unmarried couple

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcs00

What is the name of your state? Florida

My Question is how do I go about getting support for my child. Me and dad were never married and he did not sign birth cert. What should I expect to happen at the hearing? The state of Florida is doing this because I am on welfare. He was supoenaed Monday. What should I expext to happen? Do I have to go?

tigger22472

kcs00 said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

My Question is how do I go about getting support for my child. Me and dad were never married and he did not sign birth cert. What should I expect to happen at the hearing? The state of Florida is doing this because I am on welfare. He was supoenaed Monday. What should I expext to happen? Do I have to go?

You can expect for them to establish paternity either through concent of father or through a DNA test. You don't have to go... but if you lived in the state of Indiana and you didn't go you would A) be cut off from welfare and B) more then likely YOU would be charged with paying them back.

kcs00

this is for a friend. she does or doesnt have to go? she is also pregnant again with yet another of his children. To my knowledge he only has these 2. she is scared he told her that he will take to baby from her, meaning get custody if he has to pay support. She tried to get him to sign the birth cert. but he wouldnt, if that counts for anything. Should she get an attorney? She's only 19 and scared out of her mind that he will get custody. She also wants to know what will child support cover?

tigger22472

kcs00 said:
this is for a friend. she does or doesnt have to go? she is also pregnant again with yet another of his children. To my knowledge he only has these 2. she is scared he told her that he will take to baby from her, meaning get custody if he has to pay support. She tried to get him to sign the birth cert. but he wouldnt, if that counts for anything. Should she get an attorney? She's only 19 and scared out of her mind that he will get custody. She also wants to know what will child support cover?

If she DOES NOT go to the court case she risks losing ALL benefits the state is giving her now and risks having to pay back what she has received as by not showing up it as seen as not cooperating. Whenever my state sets up a court date for child support the generlization of the letter ALWAYS says that if I am receiving benefits from the state and I don't go I'm at risk of losing them. She has NO choice about patenity being established or child support being ordered as the state has now taken it out of her hands. It is then up to the father in order to file for visitation and/or custody. Child support is technically considered to cover anything and everything that pertains to helping raise the child ranging from clothing, diapers and formula to electricity, gas for transportation and housing. Now, before you ask the JUDGE makes the amount and he will not take your friends bills, figure them out and figure out what half of the children's portions are so don't think that will happen. Dad will be given a figure based on the state guidelines based on what is income is or an income that is imputed to him. Some states give breaks if the NCP carries medical insurance and some even give breaks for time utilized for visitation.

kcs00

Yes she has thought about birth control, she is even outting this baby that she is carrying up for adoption. Now what is the likelyhood of him having to provide her with transportation? She is living with her mom and is in the process of getting her own place. What about housing? Is it possible that he may have to help her get her own place or does that matter? Also how does the court rule on the child that she is carrying? Like i say before she is talking of putting it up for adoption because he is refusing to help. Will she get support ordered for the unborn child or will she have to go back once its born?

tigger22472

kcs00 said:
Yes she has thought about birth control, she is even outting this baby that she is carrying up for adoption. Now what is the likelyhood of him having to provide her with transportation? She is living with her mom and is in the process of getting her own place. What about housing? Is it possible that he may have to help her get her own place or does that matter? Also how does the court rule on the child that she is carrying? Like i say before she is talking of putting it up for adoption because he is refusing to help. Will she get support ordered for the unborn child or will she have to go back once its born?
Let's go through this step by step

What are you expecting to him to provide transportation for? Just general living?? Um.. no... The only transportation he might be ordered is for visitation IF he takes the time to file for it and is granted. He won't be required to help her find housing!!! And until the other child is born and he PROVES paternity on that child then he's not required to provide anything for the unborn child. These children are separate issues as paternity will have to be proven for each of them separately.

I'm not trying to be crappy here.. but come on. She had sex obviously more then once with this guy and believes both her children are his and she thinks he's required to take care of her? He can be court ordered to take care of the children (again if they are proven to be his) but if she lives at the corner of cardboard and box it's none of his concern except for his child.

nextwife

Making an adoption plan for baby 2, at only 19, is a really good idea. Theoretically, we are supposed to take care of ourselves, as "adults" who are choosing to have kids. The child support is his share of the added cost of having the child in her houshold.

If she had NO child she'd still need to take care of herself. The child support is for the child, not all her housing and other costs. She is considered responsible for taking care of herself. That means that the basics we need, like transportation and shelter, whether we have a child or not, are our own responsibility.

kcs00

heres the story for those that are confused. My friend she is 19 years old and is pregnant and has 1 child she is thinking of putting the unborn child up for adoption, she is in the process of a child support hearing. She has been living off of the state (welfare). The state of FLorida is the one taking this guy to court she did not start this hearing. He refuses to talk to her, when he does its only threats to get custody of the child. She does not want to give her baby up but it is the only logicaly thing to do. HE is a deadbeat dad. She wanted to know what to expect at the hearing because she hasnt gotten anything saying she has to be there or anything. So thanks to the ones that gave advice.

VeronicaGia

kcs00 said:
heres the story for those that are confused. My friend she is 19 years old and is pregnant and has 1 child she is thinking of putting the unborn child up for adoption, she is in the process of a child support hearing. She has been living off of the state (welfare). The state of FLorida is the one taking this guy to court she did not start this hearing. He refuses to talk to her, when he does its only threats to get custody of the child. She does not want to give her baby up but it is the only logicaly thing to do. HE is a deadbeat dad. She wanted to know what to expect at the hearing because she hasnt gotten anything saying she has to be there or anything. So thanks to the ones that gave advice.
She's on welfare but he is the deadbeat? Sorry, but she is a deadbeat too. Tell her to get some birth control and get a job, and stop living off my hard earned money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">