• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not understanding

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U

understand

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California....My son is 16 was arrested at school today for slapping a girl on the butt. He was handcuffed and was read the miranda rights. However, he was not ' explained' the miranda rights and he is a special ed student that has troubles with auditory processing and he didn't have a clue what was going on. He said he was just confused. When I asked him if he understood that he could have an attorney present what did he think? He said, What's an attorney, is that like a lawyer?...He was questioned and detained while I was made to wait outside. Is this right?...

I need some advise please.

stephenk

so you are more concerned about whether your son understood his Miranda rights than you are that he assaulted a girl?

The officer is not under any obligation to find out if your son is a special ed student or has auditory processing problems. When the officer asked your son if he understood his rights and wanted to talk and your son responded, "yes", the officer can proceed with questioning.

Shay-Pari'e

understand said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California....My son is 16 was arrested at school today for slapping a girl on the butt. He was handcuffed and was read the miranda rights. However, he was not ' explained' the miranda rights and he is a special ed student that has troubles with auditory processing and he didn't have a clue what was going on. He said he was just confused. When I asked him if he understood that he could have an attorney present what did he think? He said, What's an attorney, is that like a lawyer?...He was questioned and detained while I was made to wait outside. Is this right?...

I need some advise please.
Is he in a regular high school? Is he in a alternative school?

Shay-Pari'e

stephenk said:
so you are more concerned about whether your son understood his Miranda rights than you are that he assaulted a girl?

The officer is not under any obligation to find out if your son is a special ed student or has auditory processing problems. When the officer asked your son if he understood his rights and wanted to talk and your son responded, "yes", the officer can proceed with questioning.
I was getting there, but wanted to see what her answer was. You are correct though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">