• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband hid overseas marriage contract-divorce possible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

formysis

What is the name of your state? Chicago

I have a question on behalf of my sister-

She married her husband overseas 4 years ago, but they never got their marriage document translated. They are both U.S. citizens and have lived in the U.S. for all of their marriage.

She is currently considering a divorce, but her husband hid the overseas marriage contract and said she would not be able to divorce him if she tried, nor would she be entitled to any property/alimony/etc because their is no proof of their marriage! Is this true?

If they got married overseas, and she does not have the marriage contract, can they still get a legal divorce? Is there any other proof that can be used?
They have a 3 year old daughter, and like I said, they've been married and living in Chicago for 4 years now.

Please answer me ASAP, before she loses her wits!!

BelizeBreeze

Was she drunk, on drugs or was the marriage during an out-of-body experience? If not then she knows where they got married.

Now, what is my next statement to you?

G

Gonwin

ForMySis

Anyway, I would think that your sister needs to contact the court or place she was married to get copies of the legal documents. She should not wait for her husband to hand them to her. This might take some time and effort on her part, but she needs to have them in her hand. After she has the papers, she can get them translated here and proceed with what she needs to do. Take care.

Last edited by a moderator:

BelizeBreeze

Anyway, I would think that your sister needs to contact the court or place she was married to get copies of the legal documents.
Well, that was brilliant. Now tell the woman what she has won? Or better still, tell her in which court?

Guess what genius, depending on in which country the marriage took place, the COURT has nothing whatsoever to do with marriage.

In fact, in Germany, Austria and Italy and SOME provinces in France, City Hall issues the marriage license and is required to perform the ceremony BEFORE a church can solomize the event.

After she has the papers, she can get them translated here and proceed with what she needs to do.
Really? Geeez, why didn't I think of that? Now where would she have them translated? Let me guess, just any old translator right? WRONG! There is a specific protocol necessary to have legal documents translated so they are admissible in a U.S. Court and, depending again on which country the documents are from, also specific laws to follow in having the documents certified through translation.

Let's put it this way. How about specifics? You can do that can't you? Or are you here just to play semantics?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">