• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

boundary issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Billiejo1

What is the name of your state?Ohio

Our neighbors have lost their house due to forclosure.. While they were there, they built a new building. There is also a fence up on the side of the yard. The issue is, while checking into the real estate- perhaps thinking of buying- we found that half of what they have fenced in for the yard, and (half of)the new buiding that they put up is on our property.

We have made an offer on the house, however I am wanting to know what I can do If our offer is refused... as far as can I make them move the fence and the building? Or am I just *** out?

We have contacted the real estate company with this issue and have stated that if we aren't the one's to purchase the home, we would like the items to be removed at least to the property line. (though, they don't seem too anxious to get it done.)

question two... I am under the belief that there can be no buildings, etc. within 5 feet of a property line in Ohio.. is this acurate?

I appreciate any help/advice you can give me Thank you in advance.

FarmerJ

Local zoning offices can tell you what the set backs are for your town or county , as far as the building & fence go wether you buy the place or not you should see to it that they are moved off your property so you dont create a future headache for your self or end up being told after you move by the new owner that you MUST move them off his /her ( your old place ) land if you did end up buying the place .

B

Billiejo1

If we bought the place, we would also retain the current property/housing we are at.. Just wanted to know if there were any Legal issues I should know about if someone else were to by the neighboring house(if we weren't able to purchase it).. btw.. the realtor/owner are showing the house with the current fencing.. so interested buyers will be in belief that that "thier" property is where the fencing is.. --- or at least I would if I were to view it, adn didn't know otherwise.

B

Billiejo1

Home guru, are you saying that I should get a current survey to proove what real estate is ours.. Or the new buyers (should we not purchase it)? I'm sorry, it is early and I may not have enough coffe in me yet. (haha)...sorry to be a bother. thank you all for your replies and information. It is GREATLY appreciated.

BelizeBreeze

That is why all Buyer's should get a current survey.
That statement was pretty plain. IF you are thinking of buying the place, or any place, you need to get a new survey to determine if what you are purchasing is actually theirs to sell.

And even if you don't buy the place, you should get one to preserve your property rights.

B

Billiejo1

not yet.. i am waiting to see if bid for house is rejected/accepted. If it is accepted, there is no issue.. so we are just waiting at the moment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">