• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problems with condo landlord

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lisadb25

What is the name of your state? florida

I am currently in the process of moving out of my current residence which is a condo owned by someone else. I am not on the lease agreement but I signed a document the woman printed from a site online outlining the rental agreement. The original agreement was for a year (Oct. 2004 final month) but I am leaving before this month is over. The document I signed does not appear legally binding and is not notorized.

She informed today that she expects a full months pay for next month despite the fact I will no longer be residing there. She has threatened to take me to court if I do not pay. Does she have a legal right to demand next months rent depsite the fact I gave her 30 days notice prior to my leaving?

She also at one point demanded that I inform her of my plans after I moved out and would contact the those people (i.e., university, rental company, etc.) in order for my early termination of our agreement. Is it just me or does that sound irrelevant and illegal?

Please help!

HomeGuru

lisadb25 said:
What is the name of your state? florida

I am currently in the process of moving out of my current residence which is a condo owned by someone else. I am not on the lease agreement but I signed a document the woman printed from a site online outlining the rental agreement. The original agreement was for a year (Oct. 2004 final month) but I am leaving before this month is over. The document I signed does not appear legally binding and is not notorized.

She informed today that she expects a full months pay for next month despite the fact I will no longer be residing there. She has threatened to take me to court if I do not pay. Does she have a legal right to demand next months rent depsite the fact I gave her 30 days notice prior to my leaving?

**A: yes.

She also at one point demanded that I inform her of my plans after I moved out and would contact the those people (i.e., university, rental company, etc.) in order for my early termination of our agreement. Is it just me or does that sound irrelevant and illegal?

**A: she can also hire a collection attorney to sue you.

Please help!
**A: read your signed contract.

L

lisadb25

thanks

fortunately enough for me the problem has resolved itself and my landlord is letting me go with only paying for this months rent and assured me she will not pursue this any further.

thanks for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">