• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Annulment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

intothevoid

What is the name of your state?I am posting from New York and this pertains to New York Law.
I was/still am married to a guy and I went with him last year in November to file for a annulment where he was giving me an annulment. I don't have my own lawyer it was his lawyer. I signed the papers for it and everything. I wasn't getting anything from the person I am married too. I was told by the lawyer that it will take about 2 to 3 months and I will get a letter in the mail from the court that my marriage has been annulled. But I never got anything from the court since now and I kept calling the lawyer and when i got through to him he told me he will mail a copy of the signed documents that I and my husband signed for the annulment but i didn't get anything so i finally set up an appointment with the lawyer and i went there and my husband was there too.
The lawyer told us that he hasn't even filed the annullment yet because of some problems between the lawyer and my husband. Even though i was under the impression that it had been filled.
Now the lawyer told me to call today meaning Monday and he will tell me when to come to pick the papers after he files it in the court so I know it has been filled but as before i can't get through to the lawyer as i am told he is in court and he will be in court until wednesday and i can't go on wednesday because he is busy the whole day.
This is the same thing that happened before when I was calling and getting no replied until i finally set up an appointment and went there.
I think this lawyer is crooked and there is something going between him and my husband because we are seperated. and i have been waiting for the annullment for a long time. What should I do if i find that the lawyer still hasnt' filled it?. Should i sue the lawyer?. Because Feb '04 made a year of me being married and as i know annullment has to be filled within a year and the lawyer hasn't filed papers but they are dated for novemeber. So if he does file would that make it a annulment because it was signed in november '03?.
Or should i file for divorce and get my own lawyer?.
Please help out here and let me know as soon as possible.
Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">