• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I have your interpretation of this please?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gottadoit

What is the name of your state? TN

I received this letter from my attorney, and since I am not completely familiar with the process of divorce, I'm not sure I understand it right (the words "hearing" and "trial" are throwing me). And since it's $115 an hour, help here instead of calling her would be greatly appreciated.

She writes:
"In regard to the outcome of our hearing on the Motion for Default Judgement, the Judge set this matter for trial on August 17th and directed your husband to have his answer filed by that time or he would proceed on our Motion for Default. He also advised your husband that if he did not have an attorney by that time, he would have to try the matter himself.

I will be in touch with you prior to August 17th to begin pre-trial preparation - or sooner should I be contacted by an attorney on your husband's behalf."

My husband had not filed an answer, instead he showed up at that hearing to "tell the judge what he wanted out of the divorce".

Is this saying that if an answer isn't filed the motion for default will be granted, and if an answer is filed my husband will have to try it himself if he doesn't have an attorney? Is there a trial either way, or just if he files an answer? (I don't expect him to get an attorney, or file an answer. He doesn't follow through on anything he does.)

someone else could probably help you out better with this ... I'm not an attorney. by your post it would seem you have a trial date, your husband has an opportunity to answer if not the judge will allow the default. If he doesn't get an attorney it will be on him to handle his side of the case. I would think you should be able to at least call your attorneys office and have one of their assistants or your attorney explain the letter to you without you having to pay for that information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">