• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bad judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

ahyatt

What is the name of your state? NC
I moved in with two other people , only knew them for a few months...first mistake. Trouble started right away with me being the only one working paying the bills etc. Finally we were evicted and had 1 week to get out of the apartment. One night I was already in bed (had to get up at early to go to work, roomamates decided to have a little party. They got loud, I locked my bedroom door and tried to sleep. An hour later, someone knocked at my bedroom door and it was a policeman, they had come in because of the noise and they smelled marijuana so they came in to search, they searched the whole apartment and found 2 pipes but no drugs (in one of the roommates bedrooms and one in the living room) because neither of them would admit that it was theirs, they were given a citation for possession of drug paraphernanial with intent to use. They also gave me a citation for knowledge of possession of drug paraphernanial. How much trouble am I in?

Last edited:

S

Sambo83

Tell them you were sleeping and didn't know. Plead not guilty.

Last edited by a moderator:

CdwJava

Not having any idea of the punishment for this in NC, its hard to say. My guess is that its a low-level misdemeanor that has a fine and some small jail time potential attached. However, the state will STILL have to show you had knowledge. Now, if there were pipes everywhere, or you admitted that you had seen them before, that might be sufficient for you to be found guilty.

Its hard to say without knowing the exact statute you were cited under.

Plead not guilty, unless they can prove you knew about the presence of the drugs or pipes.

Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">